Thread: What determines the order of the list of parameters, and how can I change the order?

Login to Give a bone

Default What determines the order of the list of parameters, and how can I change the order?

Hello from snow land,

If I click on a Dynamic Block and then go to Properties > Custom there is a list of all the parameters with the ones that can be changed in white. My question is what determines the order of the list of parameters, and how can I change the order?

Thank you,
    Roland

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What determines the order of the list of parameters, and how can I change the order?

Quote Originally Posted by kb3cxe
    Hello from snow land,

If I click on a Dynamic Block and then go to Properties > Custom there is a list of all the parameters with the ones that can be changed in white. My question is what determines the order of the list of parameters, and how can I change the order?

Thank you,
    Roland
    Well, it took me a while to understand what you were asking, but I think I finally (maybe) get it and will take a crack at answering your question.

The order of modifiable attributes is determined by the order in which they are created, I think. Either that or it's completely random and AutoCAD secretly hates us and wants to drive us insane. I have a feeling it's the first one though.

You can change those attributes by using the BATTMAN command in modelspace. The Block Attribute Manager will pop up and you can select, from the drag down box, the block whose attributes you wanna modify. The just simply select an attribute and press the "Move Up" or "Move Down" until you get the order in which you want.

Then, I think you press "Sync" to get it all to redefine and press OK. If it's not updated on screen, reset the block. And, if that does not work, delete it and re-insert it. I've had to do all three at one point or another.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What determines the order of the list of parameters, and how can I change the order?

BCYCLEORDER?

this lets you modify the cycle order of the parameter nodes that are 'cycleable'.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: What determines the order of the list of parameters, and how can I change the order?

I think a lot of people get confused with attributes and parameters.

What appears in the Custom section of the Properties dialog are the value of the parameters of a dynamic block. The order in which they are listed seams to be the same as the order in which the parameters were created. I also wanted to re-order those parameters but I didn't find any solution. The only solution I think of now is to redo the entire block (anoying!).

Parameters are values that can be changed without exploding a block. Parameters are added during the creation of a block turning the block into a dynamic block. The term dynamic refers to the fact that the block can be changed without exploding it.

It is true that using the BATTMAN allows the reordering of the Attributes of a block. But Attributes and Parameters are not the same items. Attributes are only text objects linked to a block.

I just wanted to clarify the difference between Attributes and Parameters.

Login to Give a bone

While this is an old thread, it was one of the top results when I was searching for the answer. So, I have found a solution to ordering the parameters after it has been created. To change the order open the parameter manager, right click the column headers ("Name", "Expression" etc.) then turn on order. When first shown it is blank, click the blank text field for the one that you want to be at the top enter 1. At this point the rest of the list populates and you can order them numerically as expected. At the moment, I am unsure if if changes any order of operations but it works for the blocks I tested it with. Hope that helps.