Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Viz 2005 releases today...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

...no idea what it means for Revit models.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Viz 2005 releases today...

Not sure this tells us much:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=4221978

Support for Autodesk® Revit® Files—Revit users can export a 3D DWG file from Revit and then link to the resulting file in Autodesk VIZ.
    I take it you have to set up materials separately in Revit and VIZ? And when you export subsequently the definitions will update automatically?

Guy

Login to Give a bone

...the way I read it. Same old process.

ADT is sucking way too many Autodesk development resources.

I could stop if I wanted to Danny Polkinhorn's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

ADT is sucking way too many Autodesk development resources.
    Actually, according to one of the Factory workers I spoke with at AU last year, there doesn't seem to be "any interest in this feature for Revit users".

Everyone who feels there's a need for integration with Viz should request it. I say 'yes'.

Login to Give a bone

I've just been over to the Autodesk web site and had a read of their new features for VIZ 5.0. I can't believe that we (Revit users) still have to export to a DWG file. I would hardly call that support for Revit users as Autodesk like to put it.

I was really looking forward to being able to do a direct file link like ADT users can. I found this to be a great tool, back in the days when I was an ADT pleb.
    I'm certainly not going to waste my time with exporting a file everytime I would like to update my VIZ model. I won't be upgrading to 5.0 unless a service pack comes out for this support.

Very disappointing Autodesk!!!

Not like the VIZ developers visit this site anyway, but the Revit developers should have been pushing the VIZ developers for this feature. I'm sure it would increase the Revit sales and convert ADT users if it did.

I have sent numerous suggestions to the VIZ developers since using Revit, so I must be the only one doing so or they just don't give a damn.
    I urge all that want this feature to send a comment to the VIZ developers, expressing your disappointment.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=1073231

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Chad,

So you don't feel strongly about this ?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Chad,

If you look at what happened with the PDF writer, money would have to be on Accurender disappearing. It's just when and in what form VIZ replaces Accurender.

It's certainly frustrating for those of us who want to use external renderers. .3DS export at least would gives us some more options.

My ideal would be a common interface to material definition, path definition etc and a rendering API that rendering companies can use to 'plugin' their rendering solution. That way we get a unifrom front end and choices for the backend.

Guy

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I certainly agree with GuyR, that Revit definitely needs more robust linking with VIZ. using File Linking is ookay, but every-damn-time when Revit file is changed dramatically, or geometry changed fundementally, the Materials applied are all lost or go all wonky. So, I suggest UV information and material definition needs to be linked seamlessly and dynamically from within Revit to the future version of VIZ.

Login to Give a bone

I would like to see Revit to be able to export .3ds files or even .max files by material instead of by layer for 3d files. The layers work great for 2d drawings but their useless for 3d. If models were exported on new layers based on material it would be easy to assign rendering materials from my existing Viz and Max libraries.

Right now the glass and the window frame both get exported out on the window layer even though Revit knows their different... and sorting out which is which is annoying in Viz and Max.

Login to Give a bone

Below is a snipet from a weblog by Chris Yanchar (ADT Product Designer).
    Is it any wonder why ADT is still going strong, when as you can see below the VIZ team put so much time into making ADT a companion product to VIZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Yanchar
    With VIZ 2005, Architectural Desktop 2005/2004 Styles, Layers, Materials, UV Coordinates, and VIZ Render Radiosity processing are fully supported.

- VIZ continues to have the file link abilities with ADT, being able to natively read in the ADT objects, but even better, VIZ 2005 can now understand the Architectural Desktop style information. This means you can select the components of an ADT object, like a door, and directly apply materials to those architectural components (frame, stop, panel, glass, muntins). Material assignments are then propagated to all objects of the same style. ADT 'material overrides' are also supported; meaning any component that has an override will not propagate its material assignments.
    - Section body and section cut faces are also uniquely named/selectable in VIZ 2005 so that they can receive their own material. ‘Live Sections’ are also now supported when linked to VIZ 2005, including those that cut through multiple xrefs.
    - VIZ 2005 also natively supports the ‘Architectural Material’ that was created for ADT 2004/VIZ 2004.
    http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_th...05_is_her.html

For brief moments I sometimes wonder what the future of Revit looks like when Autodesk makes decisions like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast