Thread: Dimension bug!?: Linear Prefix/Suffix added to Angular Dim

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimension bug!?: Linear Prefix/Suffix added to Angular Dim

I hardly ever label angles, so I never noticed this before. But there seems to be a bug in Dimension Styles!

There is a place to insert a prefix or suffix for linear dimensions. But this prefix or suffix is also added to angular dimensions!

So, if you try to use a ' (foot) or M (meter) as a suffix, this suffix is also added to angles. Angles get labels like:

25°27'36"'
    or
    25°27'36"M

instead of:
    25°27'36"

This bug exists in 2006, and after a check, I discovered it also exists in 2004. It seems absolutely amazing that this bug would have existed for this long, and no one has complained... Are angle dimensions really that rare?

The workaround is, of course, to override the dimension style when dimensioning angles. This is annoying, but is a better workaround than creating another set of DimStyles just for dimensioning angles.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension bug!?: Linear Prefix/Suffix added to Angular Dim

This has come up from time to time over the past several years. Has anyone ever developed a better solution for this situation? As far as I can tell, those of us who use decimal feet (virtually the entire U.S. land development industry) have three options.

1) Like richards said, we can edit out the suffix on an entity by entity basis. Time has proven that this is counterintuitive for a lot of users.

or

2) We can omit the apostrophe for the "parent" dimstyle and create child styles for diameter, linear, ordinate, and radial each of which add the apostrophe. The limitation here is that child dimstyles are easily purgable.

or

3) Create an entirely separate dimension style just for angular dimensions. Obviously, this is even less intuitive.

A better solution, of course, would be to create a parent Dimstyle which includes the apostrphe and a single child for angular dimensions which doesn't incldue the suffix. Unfortunately, as of 2006 (and probably 2007), AutoCAD doesn't allow this.

Does anyone else have any better ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by richards.64879
    I hardly ever label angles, so I never noticed this before. But there seems to be a bug in Dimension Styles!

There is a place to insert a prefix or suffix for linear dimensions. But this prefix or suffix is also added to angular dimensions!

So, if you try to use a ' (foot) or M (meter) as a suffix, this suffix is also added to angles. Angles get labels like:

25°27'36"'
    or
    25°27'36"M

instead of:
    25°27'36"

This bug exists in 2006, and after a check, I discovered it also exists in 2004. It seems absolutely amazing that this bug would have existed for this long, and no one has complained... Are angle dimensions really that rare?

The workaround is, of course, to override the dimension style when dimensioning angles. This is annoying, but is a better workaround than creating another set of DimStyles just for dimensioning angles.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension bug!?: Linear Prefix/Suffix added to Angular Dim

Quote Originally Posted by richards.64879

25°27'36"'
    or
    25°27'36"M

instead of:
    25°27'36"

I like your idea of using a separate dimension style for angles to defeat the prefix/suffix bug. How many dim styles do you use?