See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: ltscale of custom linetypes in drawing border/template

Login to Give a bone

Default ltscale of custom linetypes in drawing border/template

hi, i have created a new drawing border/template and added layers etc to this template. I inherited a custom line file (*.lin) which is used in some layers but i also have layers with standard autocad linetypes. I start a new drawing and insert my drawing sheet template/block. LTScale = 1, all layers and linetypes come through but the ltscale of my custom linetypes is different to the standard linetypes. I have to change the ltscale of the custome linetypes to 25 to have them represented correctly. Is there a way in my drawing border/template to change the ltscale of the custom linetypes so I don't have to change them when I start a new drawing?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ltscale of custom linetypes in drawing border/template

If you have the .lin file, simply edit a copy of the linetype definition, and import to overwrite in your drawing(s).

If you don't have the .lin file, you can still do this, but it will take a bit more doing.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ken.fitzgerald440787 View Post
    ... I inherited a custom line file (*.lin) which is used in some layers

As BlackBox said, just edit the .LIN file, making each of the linetype components ±25X larger
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

At least in Paper Space always keep LTScale = 1. It's those custom linetypes that are the problem. As BlackBox said "If you have the .lin file, simply edit a copy of the linetype definition, and import to overwrite in your drawing(s)." You need to scale each of the numbers in there. Since there are 25.4 millimeters in an inch you probably got those linetypes from the wrong .lin file or drawing.

I've attached a lisp routine that outputs the linetype definition of the current linetype. So if you don't have them in your .lin file you can add them to edit them.

I've never seen a layout with a LTScale not set to 1, even using a custom linetype in one is a little odd. I strongly recommend against putting either in a layout.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Firstly, cheers guys. *tips hat*

I've never used 'LT Thief', but I have been a big fan of Turvill's TO-LIN routine:

http://www.turvill.com/t2/free_stuff/

Also, just to throw it out there for the OP - the simplest way I know to keep linetypes consistent in all 'spaces' (once you get past this issue, that is), is to use Annotation Scales in your drawings, by setting LTSCALE == 1, MSLTSCALE == 1, and PSLTSCALE == 1. Finally, don't forget to check/set CELTSCALE in kind, or it will come back to bite you in the hind quarters!

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Firstly, cheers guys. *tips hat*

I've never used 'LT Thief', but I have been a big fan of Turvill's TO-LIN routine:

http://www.turvill.com/t2/free_stuff/
    I wrote 'LT Thief' years ago. Always preferred using existing free code by others, but couldn't find another one back then.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Also, just to throw it out there for the OP - the simplest way I know to keep linetypes consistent in all 'spaces' (once you get past this issue, that is), is to use Annotation Scales in your drawings, by setting LTSCALE == 1, MSLTSCALE == 1, and PSLTSCALE == 1. Finally, don't forget to check/set CELTSCALE in kind, or it will come back to bite you in the hind quarters!

Cheers
    Those are in my list of AutoCAD rules to live by along with…
    Draw block objects byblock on layer 0.
    Everything else bylayer and not on layer 0.

There are exceptions to every rule, but give me a drawing that doesn't generally comply with those few simple rules and you're going to get an earful.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

There's one more rule to consider: always take your linetypes from the same source file or source files derived from that same source file. If one is going to use imperial scaling (acad.lin or derived from acad.lin), then all of them should be derived from acad.lin. Same thing with metric scaling and acadiso.lin. Trying to pull from each and you end up with the same problem as the OP.

Surprising how many don't even know about acadiso.lin and continue using acad.lin with an over-scaled LTSCALE value.