Thread: Anonymous Blocks

ACAD Wish List Administration

Default Anonymous Blocks

Summary: Eliminate AutoCAD named blocks

Description: AutoCAD named blocks such as A$C73136501 for an example.

How Used: My idea would get rid of the need for AutoCAD named blocks. These blocaks are a pain in the rear. Because there is no standard name given to them.

My idea would be to have AutoCAD prompt you for a name of the block when it is pasted in as a block into the dwg. This way you can insure that you don't get AutoCAD name blocks like A$C73136501 in your dwgs. It will help you in having more control over your dwgs.

Feature Affinity: Blocks

Submitted By: Brad Crouse on February 20, 2006

Default Re: Anonymous Blocks

IMO

Use WBLOCK and INSERT if you want to name the block.

CUT/COPY and PASTE is the "quick" WBLOCK-INSERT method. Asking for a name just slows it down. Maybe if a sysvar is included so the name-asking can be disabled.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar

Another idea is to have block renaming feature inside 'Reference Edit' dialog box. Let the user rename the block by right click menu or F2. Using this method, you can rename desired blocks very easily, especially those named by AutoCAD.

har!s

Exclamation Re: Anonymous Blocks

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    IMO

Use WBLOCK and INSERT if you want to name the block.

CUT/COPY and PASTE is the "quick" WBLOCK-INSERT method. Asking for a name just slows it down. Maybe if a sysvar is included so the name-asking can be disabled.
    I am aware of the WBlock and the Cut/Copy and Paste methods. How much would it slow down the process by giving a name to the Anonymous Blocks? What do you do if you have standards set and you have outside consultants just Cut/Copy and Paste objects and you have to do takes? Alternatively, lets say that you do a block edit and you alter that it that has the Anonymous name. Now all the blocks that have that name are update. However, there are still blocks in the drawing that is of the same makeup and they did not update because it has a different name. I would be upset because I would have to go back and update the block to the new configuration. The reason that they did not change is that they have another Anonymous name. The way that this dwg could have gotten the same block configuration from the beginning is by being worked on by different CAD Tech from the same office or other offices.

If you have the sysvar included and it is disabled. How would you maintain standards that are set per your company's directive?

Thank you,

Brad

Thumbs up Re: Anonymous Blocks

Quote Originally Posted by zoomharis
    Another idea is to have block renaming feature inside 'Reference Edit' dialog box. Let the user rename the block by right click menu or F2. Using this method, you can rename desired blocks very easily, especially those named by AutoCAD.

har!s
    You could use c:Rename do that that.

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCrouse
    You could use c:Rename do that that.
    How you are going to identify those blocks in the rename command ?

Quote Originally Posted by acadwishlist
    Summary: Eliminate AutoCAD named blocks

Description: AutoCAD named blocks such as A$C73136501 for an example.

How Used: My idea would get rid of the need for AutoCAD named blocks. These blocaks are a pain in the rear. Because there is no standard name given to them.

My idea would be to have AutoCAD prompt you for a name of the block when it is pasted in as a block into the dwg. This way you can insure that you don't get AutoCAD name blocks like A$C73136501 in your dwgs. It will help you in having more control over your dwgs.

Feature Affinity: Blocks

Submitted By: Brad Crouse on February 20, 2006
    If you use the Reference Editor, you can rename only selected blocks. No need of going behind each and every pasted blocks. In this case, you can skip using system variable as well.

What do you think....Brad?

har!s

I am aware of the WBlock and the Cut/Copy and Paste methods. How much would it slow down the process by giving a name to the Anonymous Blocks?
    You are confusing anonymous blocks with this issue. Pasted entities do not become anonymous blocks.

What do you do if you have standards set and you have outside consultants just Cut/Copy and Paste objects and you have to do takes?
    I don't understand what you mean by "do takes"

Alternatively, lets say that you do a block edit and you alter that it that has the Anonymous name.
    You cannot run BEDIT on anonymous blocks. I'm assuming you mean the temporary drawing name (like A$C12FB3CD7)

Now all the blocks that have that name are update. However, there are still blocks in the drawing that is of the same makeup and they did not update because it has a different name. I would be upset because I would have to go back and update the block to the new configuration. The reason that they did not change is that they have another Anonymous name. The way that this dwg could have gotten the same block configuration from the beginning is by being worked on by different CAD Tech from the same office or other offices.
    Are you saying that someone is creating multiple blocks each containing the same content? That sounds like a management problem regarding CAD standards.

If you have the sysvar included and it is disabled. How would you maintain standards that are set per your company's directive?
    By enforcing CAD standards with employees and enforcing contractual agreements with outside partners who work on our drawings.

I'm not knocking your suggestion, I just don't want to be required to enter a name when trying to do a quick Ctrl+C.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Thumbs up Re: Anonymous Blocks

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    You are confusing anonymous blocks with this issue. Pasted entities do not become anonymous blocks.

[/size] I don't understand what you mean by "do takes"

[/size] You cannot run BEDIT on anonymous blocks. I'm assuming you mean the temporary drawing name (like A$C12FB3CD7)

[/size] Are you saying that someone is creating multiple blocks each containing the same content? That s[/size]ounds like a management problem regarding CAD standards.

By enforcing CAD standards with employees and enforcing contractual agreements with outside partners who work on our drawings.[/size]

I'm not knocking your suggestion, I just don't want to be required to enter a name when trying to do a quick Ctrl+C.
    You are not knocking my suggestion. This is the whole reason why we have this wish list and forum so that we the AUGI members can come together and make AutoCAD better. I enjoy seeing what other members think about eachothers wishes. As for the 'do takes" That should have been ding take offs. I can understand that you would not like to to enter a name when trying to do a quick Ctrl+C.

Thank you,

Brad

I think it would be a good Idea. there are times that we just [ctrl] "c" from one drawing to another only to discover later that it would be good to make that a permanent block.

This could actually help you find the block name quicker without guessing and pull into standard drawings, blocks, etc. Using Design Center!!!!