Thread: Corrupted Hatch pattern file - "Error in reading the pattern file"

I could stop if I wanted to Haden's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Corrupted Hatch pattern file - "Error in reading the pattern file"

I have been fooling with pulling hatch patterns from old .pat files, and in the course of trying to extract one of my favorite hatch patterns (wood endgrain), I seem to have somehow corrupted my installation of AutoCAD with respect to the .pat file it reads from. Part of my problem is that in AutoCAD 2006, I don't know how to tell what specific acad.pat file is being used by AutoCAD.

My problem now is that any time I issue the Hatch command, I get an error that says:
    "Error in reading the pattern file"
    then the hatch pattern palette windows are all blank except the "Other Predefined," which contains only the one endgrain pattern, which is apparently the offending pattern. No matter what I try now, I can't seem to reset the patterns back to the acad.pat which I can find in what I suppose is the correct directory, which is a directory I have set in my support file search paths.

No matter how many times I try reopening and creating a drawing from scratch, this problem will not seem to go away.

Thank you very much in advance for any help. . .

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Corrupted Hatch pattern file - "Error in reading the pattern file"

In your efforts to extract the old patterns, how did you extract them? Did you place them all in the same file? Did you place each pattern in its own pat file?

I usually do the latter when making custom patterns available for AutoCAD.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Hi

For starters work through all the information available in the following thread...

Load custom hatch pattern

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to hugh.69031's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you are running AutoCAD (not Autocad LT) you can ask Lisp. At the command prompt type the following line including the parantheses and quote characters:

(findfile "acad.pat")

Then double check with:

(findfile "acadiso.pat")

to show where the pattern definition files' directory is located.

You can also search for other files, so if you are keep custom pattern files away from the standard files you can find them in the same way, for instance

(findfile "MYGRAVEL.pat")

may turn up a copy of that file in a different directory from where you expected to find it.

hth
    Hugh Adamson
    Cadro Pty Ltd
    www.cadro.com.au/hatchkit/

I could stop if I wanted to Haden's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

My individual .pat file was named AS-WOOD-ENDGRAIN.PAT, but my pattern within the file was named AS-WD-ENDGRAIN. The old mis-matched name!

I had to fix the file name, close AutoCAD, and when I reopened, everything was peachy. Thanks for the help!

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Corrupted Hatch pattern file - "Error in reading the pattern file"

Quote Originally Posted by hadens
    My individual .pat file was named AS-WOOD-ENDGRAIN.PAT, but my pattern within the file was named AS-WD-ENDGRAIN. The old mis-matched name!

I had to fix the file name, close AutoCAD, and when I reopened, everything was peachy. Thanks for the help!
    Hi Haden

Thanks for posting back the solution that worked for your situation. I am sure others will benefit from such information in the future.

Mike