Thread: How to Get Started

Login to Give a bone

Default How to Get Started

I'd like some advice. The situation is this: my boss has accepted some jobs that the client is expecting us to do in Revit. I don't know how to use Revit yet, so I am quietly panicking about getting up to some level of competence quickly. The local ATC doesn't have a class until the end of April, by which time these projects will be ongoing. How good is the online training and the AOTC material from Autodesk? Will I be able to put my head down and work through these and come out capable of creating some drawings in Revit structure? Or do I really need to find a class somewhere (which would have to be out of the state, therefore at some expense)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sarah Watts

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to Get Started

If you really want to know all the in's and out's, you need to take a class. If you're going to use it to create a model and basic plans from and not take it much farther than that, I think you'd be fine just working your way through all the tutorials that come with RS or RB. You can always take the class later and learn about some of the finer points, tips and tricks; but if you can make it though the tutorial, I think you should be able to get a good start. Besides, there's always AUGI.

I could stop if I wanted to kmarsh's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I tend to agree with David but might refine it by saying that I found the tutorials very helpful in getting the basics together and I think that I could have produced a decent looking set of plans without too much trouble. I did find though, as I got into more and more technical stuff, that I needed to rely on AUGI quite a bit to iron out details. In that light, I love this forum and think that, if you don't find your question already answered, you'll get a response relatively quickly. Revit Factory workers also review these forums and try and help answer questions that are not otherwise readily answered.
    So, forge on; there's a great support network here, I know they've all helped me.
    -ken

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the input. I think we're going to go with classroom training now that I've managed to convince the ATC to offer a class almost a month sooner. I'm going to get started with the tutorials and whatever else I can fit in before that too. And you'll be hearing from me, I'm sure.