Thread: Cutting voids in place families bugs fixed..

AUGI Addict

Say I have a 3 storey office block (see attached image) all the openings in the walls for the curtain walling can be formed using the edit elevation profile or the split tool to make them into separate walls....

Something I have been doing recently which REALLY speeds things up compared to using the edit elevation profiles oe the split tool is to create an inplace family, draw voids, then cut the geometry out... it is so simple and so fast. BUT there are 2 major bugs.

The first one - I cannot snap to "ends" of the walls at the openings??? very annoying.

The second problem is as soon as I remove any of the walls that are haveing their geometry cut - Revit stops cutting geometry at all with the family and I have to go round doing it all again.

Aside from fixing these bugs, it would be very cool if I could make revit automatically split all the walls into separate segments based on this cut geomtry - or to edit the elevatio profile to match it, I tihnk it is something like massing I want it doing, though I dont use the massing tools so maybe it already can?
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict

Default Re: Cutting voids in place families bugs fixed..

the voids highlighted....

AUGI Addict

Awww... and just a better view of the building cos I like it and I am trying to hang around on zoog today to get a prize

(modelled from scratch in 2.5 hours)

I use a structural family that is just a " stretchable" opening for these situations. Make a generic wall based family that is just an opening, then change it to a struct family(then you can pick it in plan).

ps I tried to upload but have exceeded my limit.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar

Martin,
    when you cut a portion of wall out that way does Revit treat it as an 'insert'? The reason for asking is the behaviour of finishes at these voids. Does the masonry return at the soffit and sides of these openings when the void is cut or does the window take care of that?

I could stop if I wanted to Nic M.'s Avatar

Verry nice model Martin
    2.5 Hours you say? You pamper your Boss to much I think

(you have competition on the prize thing)

AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown
    I use a structural family that is just a " stretchable" opening for these situations. Make a generic wall based family that is just an opening, then change it to a struct family(then you can pick it in plan).

ps I tried to upload but have exceeded my limit.
    I have a wall based generic model family, I added some detail lines at the sides so I could pick it - I will change it to a struct family now though ta for the tip.....

I had a little play around with the massing tools after posting this and I think I may investigate them further it seems they ought to be able to do this type of thing? although you can use it retrospectively, you have to use if from the start - maybe the wish should be to allow walls etc to be turned into a mass after they are done? but they do look very powerful tools that I have really neglected..

the masonry does not return etc ie it is not treated as an opening - I must admit that I do not ever use this function and just do a detail component for jambs, its been my experience that I cant usually get them to behave the way I need then to anyway...

All that said, this method made punching holes in those walls really fast, I would do it again possibly using the mass tools next time - but those bugs could still do with being fixed - either that or let us use the cut mass option on walls that are not created from masses.

AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Nic M.
    Verry nice model Martin
    2.5 Hours you say? You pamper your Boss to much I think

(you have competition on the prize thing)
    yes I think I probably do to both of those things - But I can really see Ryan looking good that T-Shirt, which has bee modelled so well by Noah - not fishing for any favouritism Chris

the models not got any "guts though" basically you see everything I modelled in those views. and i wouldnt use it for the working drawings its probably a bit shaky with a few to many in place things.

I could stop if I wanted to Nic M.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martin P
    ....Noah - not fishing for any favouritism Chris
    favouritism, favouritism, .... I've got tree of those little monsters running arround