Thread: Can't see inserted block... but it's there...

Login to Give a bone

Angry Can't see inserted block... but it's there...

Using AutoCAD 2006

This is killing me! I have created a titleblock and am now trying to 'insert as block' into a blank drawing sheet.
    Everything seems normal when inserting, i.e. no errors are listed... zoom extents shows nothing, using crosshairs to highlight it reveals nothing, but yet if I erase/move/copy 'all', it indicates that there are found objects.
    It isn't being inserted on a frozen, off or locked layer, doesn't matter if I insert it in model or paper space.

When in the original block .dwg, I can copy it to the clipboard & paste it that way and it works just dandy, I can also save as, and that works too, but why can't I see it when I insert it???

What am I missing?

Thanks a bunch,
    Dallas

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Can't see inserted block... but it's there...

Quote Originally Posted by garden_chicken
    <SNIP>
    This is killing me! I have created a titleblock and am now trying to 'insert as block' into a blank drawing sheet.
    Everything seems normal when inserting, i.e. no errors are listed... zoom extents shows nothing, using crosshairs to highlight it reveals nothing, but yet if I erase/move/copy 'all', it indicates that there are found objects.
    <SNIP>
    Hi

Is the TitleBlock defined in Paperspace ( Layout ) ?

If yes, that is the cause of the problem... take a look at this thread ( Image attached to DWG does not Insert into other DWG files ).

If no, is it possible to post your TitleBlock drawing file and an example drawing file you are trying to Insert TitleBlock into.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Can't see inserted block... but it's there...

That's it! Thank you Mike! Big hug for ya...

Do you know off hand if that is actually documented somewhere in the bowels of the AutoCAD Help menu?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't see inserted block... but it's there...

Do you know off hand if that is actually documented somewhere in the bowels of the AutoCAD Help menu?
    Hi

No worries...

AutoCAD Online Help File [F1] -> Contents tab -> User's Guide -> Share Data Between Drawings and Applications -> Reference Other Drawing Files (Xrefs) -> Attach, Update, and Bind External References -> Attach External References...

Note Xrefs must be model space objects. They can be attached at any scale, location, and rotation.
    Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't see inserted block... but it's there...

You may already know this but..
    If your using AutoCAD 2000 or higher, try using "Design Center" (command "adc" or ctrl+2). This gives you a file browser you can drag and drop just about anything from another drawing into your drawing. You select what catagory you want to drag from, and to the right it gives you a list (or icon) of everything of that catagory in that drawing.

Specifically in your case, If you have a title block in a layout, you can drag that layout into your new drawing. Hint: Name your layout something other than "layout1" so you can drag it into your new drawing. It works great, especially if the layout is all set up for plotting and paper sizes, etc.

It also works great for layers, dimstyles, textstyles, blocks etc.

Ted