See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Which one do you use in your project work?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • CAPS

107 81.06%
  • Sentence Style Capitalization

25 18.94%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    I have a good friend in TX who's trying to get me to move out there and switch from Civil 3D to Revit
    If he wants you to switch to Revit then he is definitely not a good friend.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    If he wants you to switch to Revit then he is definitely not a good friend.
    Haha - I went to college for computer animation, before getting pulled out for deployments, and ultimately finding the world of civil engineering. I've always held out for Civil 3D to be more than what it seems content to be, so Revit has always been on the back burner, to my mind. For all of its own issues, it's certainly more of a true 3D modeling engine than that of Civil 3D.

Did your company make the switch from AMEP to RMEP? And do you use all caps (to keep it relevant! Haha)?

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

We use all caps because the people who pay us want to read it at half scale.

We don't get to decide if want to use revit its the architect's who hire us are now starting to require Revit.
    I see benefits with Revit for arch etc,, but we do electrical and express our design in 2d and schematics, so most time is spent trying to get it to produce 2D drawings that are needed if they want it built in the real world.

Login to Give a bone

We use Sentence Case because the end users want to read it at half scale, and peer reviewed studies have shown that sentence case is better for this.
    Peer reviewed studies from Tinker onwards have also shown that sentence case is:
    Easier to read.
    Easier to read in low light conditions.
    Easier for people with visual impairments to read.
    Easier for people with dyslexia and similar conditions to read.
    Aids understanding and comprehension more quickly.
    Survive degradation through object (smudging) use better.

and, certainly to my mind, peer reviewed studies trump anecdote and opinion.

It is also offers consistency throughout the document set with:
    Project Reports.
    Design Basis Statements.
    Tender Documents.
    Calculations.
    Architectural Drawings.
    Geotechnical Drawings.
    Geotechnical Reports.
    Surveys Reports.
    Scientific Studies.
    RAMS.
    etc ad infinitum.

Basically, the rest of the project set.
    Sentence case also offers greater flexibility, e.g. being able to use capitalisation to highlight specific areas of importance much more effectively than bolding in a uniform blob of block capitals does.

There are a lot of very good reasons to use sentence case, and I haven't found one for using block caps.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by KCM View Post
    Sentence case also offers greater flexibility, e.g. being able to use capitalisation to highlight specific areas of importance much more effectively than bolding in a uniform blob of block capitals does.

There are a lot of very good reasons to use sentence case, and I haven't found one for using block caps.
    In comparing BLACKBOX's Images above besides being easier to read at the same text size "Dimension", "Mtext" & "Text" all take up less space on the drawing. Using title case is the only way I was able to label trees for example on a drawing with 60 or more on it. It simply wasn't possible with uppercase without reducing the text size.

No where else is all uppercase acceptable, why is it acceptable in drawings?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    FWIW -

I've worked for a small handful of design firms since entering civilian life, from +10K - 10 employees, and have always been the youngest CAD user/admin - heck, I'm significantly younger than you at 40, for that matter!

One standard I worked in with my last employer, which I liked a lot, was for existing text to be both Title Case and italicized, whereas proposed text, and general notes were all caps. I thought it looked really good, but found the constant manual caps lock toggling to be a PITA. Calling the TCASE Express Tool worked fine, but I did not particularly care for the subsequent manual command invocation; I wanted something quicker!

About the same time, I was just starting to dig into AutoCAD's .NET API (completely new to me, coming from only a couple of years of LISP prior), and ended up developing this back in 2013... It may, or may not be of use to you, as regretfully it does not modify others' undesired behavior, but *may* help to streamline the task in your daily work *not sure*:

For those that may be interested, this app is published at Autodesk Exchange here.

Cheers

Is this a new feature in AutoCAD 2015 and 2016? ....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadpro78 View Post
    Is this a new feature in AutoCAD 2015 and 2016? ....
    Regretfully, no... Those are merely screenshots from an app I developed for Autodesk Exchange (see the last line, under the screenshots).

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567