See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Which one do you use in your project work?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • CAPS

107 81.06%
  • Sentence Style Capitalization

25 18.94%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

Login to Give a bone

Default CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

How about the all caps vs. sentence style capitalization issue? Which are most of you and your clients using?

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

"All capital letters" doesn't leave room for capitalization errors and ensures that
    drawing text looks legible. Sometimes lowercase letters can print sloppy on
    certain printers. Faxing can also having issues with lowercase text.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gadjet
    How about the all caps vs. sentence style capitalization issue? Which are most of you and your clients using?
    We use all caps on all of our drawings.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gadjet
    Engineering drawings have "always" been done in all caps for reasons of legibility and consistency.
    CAD does make it feasible to use mixed case but I don't see any established companies doing so although many companies do seem to accept smaller text heights nowadays.

Login to Give a bone

All Caps is industry standard for all disiplines as far as I know.

The only time I've seen upper and lower case in a drawing was one done by a landscape architect, and it was a pretty bad looking drawing. The client was very displeased.

Login to Give a bone

All caps, all the time. Just be careful when you switch over to email or AUGI...
    I drink coffee for your protection.

Windows 7 | AutoCAD 2017 | Revit 2017

I could stop if I wanted to JASONM30395's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

All CAPS, all the time.

If you (or the client) ever microfiche the drawing lower case text might as well be a line.
    Loyalty above all else except honor
    For my honor is my life!

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

All Caps is the only way to go. The only time I personally don't use it is when noting dimensional lumber. For some reason I just prefer 2x8 to 2X8, likely due to legability of numbers...

I could stop if I wanted to Tom Dorner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

My 2 cents is that the ALL CAPS METHOD is a hold over from the manual drafting days and simply has no place in the year 2006 and beyond. How many other things do you see printed in all Caps?

I did a quick Web search and found a couple of articles regarding readability and user retention.

http://hubel.sfasu.edu/courseinfo/SL03/email_study.htm

http://www.wmich.edu/wmu/writing/typography.html

An excerpt from the latter states:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    ALL CAPS

Perhaps the most frequently violated rule of readability involves the use of ALL CAPS (capital letters). Designers are often drawn to all caps because it forms neat, uniform, visual elements, or "blocks." Unfortunately, for precisely that reason, type set in all caps is more difficult to read.

Your brain does not recognize words solely on the basis of specific letter combinations, but on the overall shape of the words. In fact, your brain recognizes whole phrases based on letter shape rather than identifying individual letters and words. Which of the following is easier to read: GOOD OLD DOG or good old dog.

For readability, avoid all caps even in heads and subheads. The most readable headlines and subheads are set only with the first letter of the first word (and proper nouns) capitalized, just as in sentences.

If the goal of drawings is to clearly communicate information, then the use of sentence case seems like a no-brainier to me.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dorner
    My 2 cents is that the ALL CAPS METHOD is a hold over from the manual drafting days and simply has no place in the year 2006 and beyond. How many other things do you see printed in all Caps?

I did a quick Web search and found a couple of articles regarding readability and user retention.

http://hubel.sfasu.edu/courseinfo/SL03/email_study.htm

http://www.wmich.edu/wmu/writing/typography.html

An excerpt from the latter states:
    ALL CAPS

Perhaps the most frequently violated rule of readability involves the use of ALL CAPS (capital letters). Designers are often drawn to all caps because it forms neat, uniform, visual elements, or "blocks." Unfortunately, for precisely that reason, type set in all caps is more difficult to read.

Your brain does not recognize words solely on the basis of specific letter combinations, but on the overall shape of the words. In fact, your brain recognizes whole phrases based on letter shape rather than identifying individual letters and words. Which of the following is easier to read: GOOD OLD DOG or good old dog.

For readability, avoid all caps even in heads and subheads. The most readable headlines and subheads are set only with the first letter of the first word (and proper nouns) capitalized, just as in sentences.

If the goal of drawings is to clearly communicate information, then the use of sentence case seems like a no-brainier to me.
    With all due respect, neither of those articles is actually about Engineering or Architectural drawings.

You don't seem to be considering readability issues for plan sets, which are often copied half size and/or used in the field by contractors. Reading all caps is much easier in those situations.

Granted, we no longer use blue prints, which were a major factor in how a drawing needed to appear in order to reproduce a legible copy. But in the field it can be much more difficult to read a set of plans than it is to read it sitting in your office.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think upper and lower case is always a bad idea, some clients may accept it. I also think issues like this deserve to be revisited on occasion to keep everyone thinking of new possibilities.

But it's not always good to do something just because you can. And I certainly think this subject is not a "no brainer".
    Last edited by BrenBren; 2006-03-21 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast