See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Which one do you use in your project work?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • CAPS

107 81.06%
  • Sentence Style Capitalization

25 18.94%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

All CAPs here... there are exceptions... Although in this case it makes sense to "do it as it's always been" where I work they take that to the extreme!!! We use a text height of .140... why you might ask... because when they switched to CAD they wanted the text to be the same height as the lettering template they used on hand drawings!! SURE that makes sense!!! I want to know who took sample measurements of the lettering templates and came up with .140... I just picture a group of guys with calipers measuring letters for 4 hours to come up with that "standard"... thank god they have someone (me) who accepts change when it's for the good of the company!!

Just my two cents...

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

FYI While holding down the Alt key press 0215 and release the Alt key to get ×. 2×8 looks better than 2x8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    All Caps is the only way to go. The only time I personally don't use it is when noting dimensional lumber. For some reason I just prefer 2x8 to 2X8, likely due to legability of numbers...
    Most of my CAD carer I used upper case Autocad shape fonts like Romand or Simplex Dtext. Romand was simply a bold version of romans on the old pen plotters instead of double lined as it plots on modern plotters. It took 5 versions of Autocad working on True Type fonts before they got them to display like they should and the Mtext editor is just now starting to look like a word processor. Now that Autocad has done their part we need to do ours. Legal descriptions written on a drawing should look exactly the same as the ones we record at the courthouse. Technical writing should look exactly the same as in the textbooks. It's time to stop using All Caps in CAD, glad nobody used it in this thread.

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

All Caps here too.

Why?

The end product/project deliverable - a paper copy of a flat 2d drawing. The life-cycle of a drawing extends beyond the drawing office and consideration for how and where it is used is paramount. The drawing will be stained with oil or fingerprints etc etc during fabrication and installation - so the text should be of a height sufficient to enable the information contained therein to remain legible.

On site there is no luxury for obtaining a new copy of a drawing because the text cannot be read because some bright spark reckoned that upper and lower case looked pretty.

Text on drawings - hand drawn or cad have always been done with all caps. It is a long established directive for creating drawings and because cad has come along there is no reason to change this - as the drawing life-cycle itself has not changed.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CADkitty
    All caps, all the time. Just be careful when you switch over to email or AUGI...
    Quote Originally Posted by KingBlads
    ^ ^ ^ What CADKitty said ^ ^ ^

We use all caps here (3/32").
    And TheSwamp.org has a solution for nearly everything.
    Try the CapsManager.
    Ya gotta read the thread to find the link to d/l the .exe file.
    Hats off to you Keith!
    The best programmers on the planet, IMO.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy
    We use all caps here (3/32").
    And TheSwamp.org has a solution for nearly everything.
    Try the CapsManager.
    Ya gotta read the thread to find the link to d/l the .exe file.
    Hats off to you Keith!
    The best programmers on the planet, IMO.
    Hi

Or from the AUGI Exchange take a look at EX001163 by Bobby Jones ( the name requires no bragging ).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy

Try the CapsManager.
    Hmm. Posted by " (Author) - MP. Administrator. Needs a day job.

Sounds familiar.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Or from the AUGI Exchange take a look at EX001163 by Bobby Jones ( the name requires no bragging ).

Have a good one, Mike
    ^True dat^ (thanks Mike) 's to ya!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hughrjt
    All Caps here too.

Why?

The end product/project deliverable - a paper copy of a flat 2d drawing. The life-cycle of a drawing extends beyond the drawing office and consideration for how and where it is used is paramount. The drawing will be stained with oil or fingerprints etc etc during fabrication and installation - so the text should be of a height sufficient to enable the information contained therein to remain legible.

On site there is no luxury for obtaining a new copy of a drawing because the text cannot be read because some bright spark reckoned that upper and lower case looked pretty.

Text on drawings - hand drawn or cad have always been done with all caps. It is a long established directive for creating drawings and because cad has come along there is no reason to change this - as the drawing life-cycle itself has not changed.

Here Here, couldn't put it any better, Muggins was dragged up in a manual drawing office where we were encouraged to keep the drawings clear and simple and the prints ended stained with coffee, used to wrap sandwiches etc and in a terrible state and lower case text just became illegible. Upper case was the only thing allowed.

Login to Give a bone

All caps with the exception of lowercase letters in standard (Y14.38, etc) abbreviations. It all comes down to legibility and conveying information clearly. It is just like avoiding the use of I, O, Q, S, X, and Z.

By the way, for those of us that started off having to know lead hardnesses, that still have erasing sheilds tucked away, I have a question. Is your printing wonderful and your handwriting something along the lines of a serial killer's or is it just me?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

By the way, for those of us that started off having to know lead hardnesses, that still have erasing sheilds tucked away, I have a question. Is your printing wonderful and your handwriting something along the lines of a serial killer's or is it just me?
    Yes very much so, unless I'm in a rush I print everything.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast