See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Which one do you use in your project work?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • CAPS

107 81.06%
  • Sentence Style Capitalization

25 18.94%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAPS vs Sentence Style Capitalization

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.dennin
    All caps with the exception of lowercase letters in standard (Y14.38, etc) abbreviations. It all comes down to legibility and conveying information clearly. It is just like avoiding the use of I, O, Q, S, X, and Z.

By the way, for those of us that started off having to know lead hardnesses, that still have erasing sheilds tucked away, I have a question. Is your printing wonderful and your handwriting something along the lines of a serial killer's or is it just me?
    I have to agree with both parts of your post. It's a matter of legibility, that's what it all comes down too.

This isn't something I believe in because "it's always been done that way". It's not a matter of how good the printer is, because it's going to get half sized, folded, coffee stains, etc. and lower case becomes illegible quickly in those situations.

And as for the second part, I also have the eraser shield tucked away in my desk drawer and horrendous handwriting. I usually have to print (or "write in lettering" as I like to call it) to be understood.

Login to Give a bone

By the way, for those of us that started off having to know lead hardnesses, that still have erasing sheilds tucked away, I have a question. Is your printing wonderful and your handwriting something along the lines of a serial killer's or is it just me?
    It is NOT just you.
    It's probably everyone to learned "on the board".

No. Not at the theatre.

Login to Give a bone

I print all the time so much so that if I try to write I have to think about what I'm doing and what the letters are supposed to look like. it's just not worth the effort so I just print.
    And yes my eraser shield sits on the book shelf just over my desk, like a lone memorial to days gone by

Login to Give a bone

All CAPS, generally, usually, almost always, but.....

Existing conditions on a set of trail plans are being done upper/lower case in a light stroke RomanS font to more readily distinguish from proposed work, which is being done using ALL CAPS WITH A BOLDER WEIGHT ROMANS FONT.

However, the reality of the situation is that mixed case is vastly easier to read than all caps - just as proportional fonts are easier to read than mono-spaced type. People are trained to read mixed case, and have learned to recognize word/phrases by the shape of the whole, not just by stringing letters together. (one of the reasons that y'all can read misspellled words and understand the intent without choking on the errors) Those of us who have been conditioned to read ALL CAPS tend to downplay the improved legibility of sentence case, not because UPPERCASE is better, but because we are comfortable with it.

To claim that mixed case is harder to read is incorrect, or at best, only partially correct. We've optimized our use of fonts and text sizes in drawings for uppercase only. Obviously, then shrinking or trashing the print is going to result in less legible text. For that matter, the RomanS, Simplex, or LeRoy clones that most caddies used were not developed or designed by typographers to optimize sentence case text. They also were not designed or optimized for reductions in size - and of course will become more illegible and close up. Does the term 'hinting' mean anything?

There is a merit to uppercasing things thanks to our various industries reliance upon TLAs, ToFLAs, ToFoFLAs, and other permutations that increase confusion, reduce communication, and distract from the SME capability or lack thereof. ABS does look better than Abs, but lordy lordy lordy, do we overdo the acromania.

We could discuss the whole issue of half-size plots, and why in the name of Hades' left elbow people insist on half-sizing "D" drawings instead of creating true B size prints, but that's another thread.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gerthjg
    ... mixed case is vastly easier to read than all caps - just as proportional fonts are easier to read than mono-spaced type. People are trained to read mixed case, and have learned to recognize word/phrases by the shape of the whole, not just by stringing letters together...
    Just one point.
    This, in turn, makes it easier to glance at and misread the text.

Login to Give a bone

We use all caps because they are still readable in half-size drawings. The smaller spaces inside lower case letters become blobs at half-size.

We do use sentence case, or all lower case, in conceptual drawings, which tend to be more artsy-fartsy.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lower case characters have descenders that jut into the spacing between lines, which make small print sizes harder yet. AutoCAD even varies line spacing to account fot the difference unless you tell it not to.

[ Moderator Action = ON ] Please refer to "Forum Etiquette"...

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Etiquette
    Please do not post thread titles and thread posts using only UPPER case letters. The use of all UPPER case letters in the virtual world is considered rude and a sign of shouting.
    [ Moderator Action = OFF ]
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-08-07 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Refer to "Moderator Action" comment.

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Seems to be a mixture for us. All notes/tags on a drawing are in uppercase and all notes on the title section (all dimesions are in etc) are in sentence case. Thats the way its been done here. Go figure?

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning
    Login to Give a bone

All CAPS All the time. Due to only coming out of a microfilm system in the last 2 years (we still refer to them regularly when our electronic database doesn't turn up what we need) it's kinda useful to be able to read them.
    Looking to the future, I think if it's not broke don't fix it. It works and everyone sticks to it so we'll keep it that way.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

All CAPS all the time here too!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast