See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Revit Running on Intel Mac

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Running on Intel Mac

I don't think Duo-Core means 2 processors. I may be wrong. I think the MacPro w/ dual Xeon processors has 2.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BomberAIA View Post
    I don't think Duo-Core means 2 processors. I may be wrong. I think the MacPro w/ dual Xeon processors has 2.
    Correct-a-mundo. Core-Duo is a single processor with 2 cores. I believe the MacPro can get up to 2 processors at 4 cores each. 8 cores, baby! Add a few 8gb sticks and your ridin' purty.

If I'm not mistaken, the last place I worked had 3 server class workstaions for the render farm that had dual 8 core processors. They were PC.

All AUGI, all the time ejburrell67787's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Revit Running on Intel Mac

We're having some major graphics degradation and programme freeze issues on two machines running RAC 2010 in WinXP Pro SP3 via Parallels 4.

1. The graphics cards are Nvidia GeForce 7300GT with a VRAM 256 MB

2. The CPUs are 2 x 2.00 GHz Dual-core Intel Xeon

3. Each machine has 8GB RAM.

This is a major issue we need to do something about fast to get project documentation done...!! If we upgrade the graphics cards to say 512MB will this translate to a direct improvement within Parallels? I'm still not clear if Parallels is actually using the Mac graphics card or emulating something?

Cheers.

PS the same issues do not seem to happen on another machine where the only difference is the CPUs are 2 x 2.66 GHz ...
    Elrond Burrell, Architect

[Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter]

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    - Chinese Proverb

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Your ram isn't doing anything. XP only sees 2 gigs unless you turn the 3 gig switch on. I could never get that to work. I upgraded to Vista 32 Ultimate and it recognized my 5 gigs of ram. When Revit 2010 64 came out, I installed Vista 64 and upgraded my ram to 13 gigs. Everything runs great now. Parallels now supports 2 processors. Check your settings. Turn off any graphic control panels and turn on DirectX. Upgrade your Video driver. I had problems until I did this. I'm running Revit on my MacBook Pro w/ 4 gigs of ram, Vista 32 and Parallels. I also have no problems.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BomberAIA View Post
    Your ram isn't doing anything. XP only sees 2 gigs unless you turn the 3 gig switch on. I could never get that to work. I upgraded to Vista 32 Ultimate and it recognized my 5 gigs of ram. When Revit 2010 64 came out, I installed Vista 64 and upgraded my ram to 13 gigs. Everything runs great now. Parallels now supports 2 processors. Check your settings. Turn off any graphic control panels and turn on DirectX. Upgrade your Video driver. I had problems until I did this. I'm running Revit on my MacBook Pro w/ 4 gigs of ram, Vista 32 and Parallels. I also have no problems.
    Thanks Bomber!
    I turned the 3GB switch on this morning which seems to have helped, I've also increased the virtual memory cache manually in windows to the max (4096). Not sure upgrading to Vista is an option for us just yet though. I set parallels to 4 CPUs as soon as Parallels 4 was out.
    - Not sure what graphic control panels you are referring to?
    - Where do you turn on DirectX? Parallels config? (Hardware --> Video --> "Enable 3d acceleration"?)
    - Do you mean upgrade the video driver on the Mac? (Can't see where that is actually...)

What size files are you running? The one with the issues has a central file of about 56MB and 2 people working on local files.

(To put this in perspective, I'm working in RAC2009 still on the same parallels setup with better CPUs as noted before and the central file is 190MB, two of us working on it and I don't have any of these issues on my machine!)

- Chinese Proverb

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    TI set parallels to 4 CPUs as soon as Parallels 4 was out.
    Did you re-install Windows too?

When you install Windows XP, it checks the hardware, and if it sees multiple processors it uses a different core than if it's single processor. So if you install with one processor, and then in Parallels up the number later, it's not going to take advantage of the extra processors, for that install of Windows XP doesn't have the ability to do it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew View Post
    Did you re-install Windows too?

When you install Windows XP, it checks the hardware, and if it sees multiple processors it uses a different core than if it's single processor. So if you install with one processor, and then in Parallels up the number later, it's not going to take advantage of the extra processors, for that install of Windows XP doesn't have the ability to do it.
    OK I didn't know that. thank's for the heads up Jeffrey.

- Chinese Proverb

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MRV View Post
    Wow, there must not be a lot of mac users out in Revit land. Either that, or all of you are super busy and can't take the time to comment... Ha ha.

Anyway, the Macbook Pro is nice, but too pricy for me, for me this is a personal laptop with the capability of running RAC2010, but it will be mainly for photos and internet. I'd like to see comments about :

1) 2.0 vs 2.4ghz macbook with Revit (with the costs of memory now, I'd do 4gb and probably add a 320gb 7200rpm HD for even more fun)

2) Macbook White ($999) vs 2.0ghz Macbook ($1299) with fancy alum. chassis, fancy LED screen, fancy touchpad. Worth it? What about installing Windows 7 RC instead of XP or Vista? Thanks.
    I own a Macbook Pro 15". 2.8ghz, 7200rpm hard drive.
    A woman I know has the white Macbook. She's really happy with it and it seems to run really well....the macbooks are almost as fast as the pro's, BUT the screens on the pro are soooo much better. Plus, if you do use Revit, or Photoshop, or whatever you'll want the fastest machine your money can afford.

You might want to consider the Macbook pro with alum. chassis.
    If I were to do things over again I'd consider the 13" instead of going with the 15" I ended up with. The 13" pro is only $1,199 as of yesterday...

Finally, I have Windows7RC installed with Parallels 4 and everything is dreamy.
    It's amazing to see how much windows 7 functions like mac osx.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just to comment here -- those of you looking at the Macbook Pro might want to hold off until nVidia gets their act together on thermal management of the 9600 Geforce GPU. The aluminum Macbooks have the 9400 GPU which has been proven (see this link) to have the proper construction required for handling heat. At this time, I wouldn't buy a MBP. But I would buy a juiced up Macbook

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sultarc View Post
    Jeffrey,

Does the Mac automatically search for graphics driver updates as it periodically searches for program updates or do you have to look for them?

Periodically, Leopard prompts me to install updates and I believe it is at this time any updated video driver info would be installed. Similarly, I believe the same happens when there is an update available for my virtual machine.

This is based on memory of briefly reviewing what is about to be updated.