Thread: Beginner Question - Wall Joins, Wall Ends

Login to Give a bone

Default Beginner Question - Wall Joins, Wall Ends

Hi, I'm new to this Forum. My name is Joe and I work in Manhattan. (I'm also a novice revit user) I have a few basic question in regards to wall joins which I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Is there a way to control the end conditions of a wall, without it meeting another wall. Can you define an angle or reference plane that it aligns to? We have a building where none of our wall joins are 90 degrees.

These conditions create complications between windows and walls in two places so far.

1.) I'm not sure how to resolve the curtain wall/generic 12 inch wall corner condition. See image 3.

2.) "" the ribbon window 12 inch generic wall condition. See images 2.

In addition, is there a way to control wall ends? We have an iffy condition where we have a cantilever with a curved wall bellow it.

How would you recommend modeling these conditions? Should my Ribbon windows be curtain walls with mullions or standard window frames? How do I get my ribbon window to effectively turn the corner?

Thanks in advance,

-Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (88.5 KB, 47 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (75.5 KB, 42 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (70.5 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (51.1 KB, 39 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (438.9 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (67.2 KB, 19 views)

I could stop if I wanted to mibzim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beginner Question - Wall Joins, Wall Ends

Taken a while for ppl to respond to this one, but i think its because we either not sure what you are after or revit can't do it. There isn't a lot of control over wall joins apart from the wall join tool and dis-allowing joints. Maybe post an image of what you are after?

Login to Give a bone

Joe,

First, welcome to Revit, and may you never have to look back!

I have to agree with the previous post, in that I am not sure exactly what you are after.

Here are a couple of helpful hints.

1. When working with curtain walls, be prepared to disallow the curtain wall join. It tries to help by jumping into an adjoining wall.

2. The best way to place a door in a curtain wall is to replace the panel in the door location with a generic wall, of the same thickness as the mullions. Then insert a standard door into that wall. (ex. 5'-0" wide wall for a 5'-0" wide double door). This allows the curtain wall door to be scheduled.

Enjoy,

ejc

Login to Give a bone

1: There are a few ways around this, you could either do an in place wall and shape it any way you like, or use a thinner wall and do the shape, or add a profile, or completely ignore it and cheat by using the linework tool.

2: Curtain walls take a bit of effort to get to grips with, but they work well and there is a corner mullion which will do the trick.

As they say "draw it like you build it".

And curtain wall doors can be scheduled/tagged. Use the tab to consecutively select items and alter the type to the door family. I recommend you do the curtain wall tutorial as it had me totally confused as well.

Alternatively you could meet up with the freedom tower team who are also in Manhatten and ask them, cos they would appear to be the pacesetters with Revit right now.

Best o' luck!

I could stop if I wanted to Rhythmick's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jalexander.108656
    Is there a way to control the end conditions of a wall, without it meeting another wall. Can you define an angle or reference plane that it aligns to? We have a building where none of our wall joins are 90 degrees.

In addition, is there a way to control wall ends? We have an iffy condition where we have a cantilever with a curved wall bellow it.

-Joe
    If you have wall ends that are joining other walls that you do not want to join to, select the wall and right click the end grip and dissallow the join.
    If you want to sculpt the end angle of an unjoined end you can use an in place void to cut the wall end to the angle you need.
    Also wall corners will react differently when you use the "Edit Wall Joins" tool and set the corner to butt, mitre, or square.