For those of you who like to open drawings directly from Windows Explorer, here is a method of opening those drawings in a "read-only" state.
- Create a file containing only the following three lines
attrib +r %1
attrib -r %1
- Save it as "c:\acadro.bat"
- In Windows Explorer, go into Tools, Folder Options, File Types, scroll down to DWG.
- Click Advanced.
- Click New.
- Under Action, put "Open Read-Only"
- Under "Application...", put "C:\acadro.bat" "%1" (with the quotes)
- Click OK twice, then Close.
- Now when you right click on a DWG file, choose Open Read-only.
Tested with WinXP, Win2K, AutoCAD 2006, and Civil3D 2006