Thread: LT2004 and the Registry

Bangkok, Thailand - (Currently working in Dubai)
    Login to Give a bone

Default LT2004 and the Registry

Is it possible to export the registry settings from LT2004 to a .ARG file?

Basically the problem is that about 90% of our designers are still on LT2004 and I want to be able to standardise all their settings, paths, menus etc. in one hit.

I have a LT2004 box on which I am testing all the new stuff, so ideally what I would like to do is just dump the configuration from that machine into a registry file and then deploy it around the office.

TIA

I could stop if I wanted to tyshofner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LT2004 and the Registry

I had the same problem, and here is what I did: (it's a little rougher than I'd like, but it works)

Export the "<<Unnamed Profile>>" reg key from your "setup" PC.

Edit/Clean-up exported reg file. Clean out settings that won't be "standard". We run Windows XP so I also had to edit the reg file for different user log-in names, do to how the software is installed to a specific user's directory. I just used "find and replace" to change my log-in name from my "setup" PC to something like "<<login>>". Also you might want to do this for the reg key that stores the ACLT specific "User Name" sys var that you set in the options dialogue. For this I used "<<username>>".

Take that "*.reg" file to each PC you want to setup. Use find and replace to replace "<<login>>" & "<<username>>" with the correct values. Save the file, then double click to apply the new settings to the registry.

Fire up ACLT, and Voila!! Everything should be set.

I hope I gave enough explanation, any questions just ask.

Ty
    Last edited by tyshofner; 2005-10-24 at 03:14 PM.

Bangkok, Thailand - (Currently working in Dubai)
    Login to Give a bone

I'm at home right now, and not at the LT2k4 machine (so can't check), but if I remember correctly, there was no profiles tab in the options dialog.

Therefore, where to find the profile tab and export option?

Login to Give a bone

No, there is no "profile" tab in LT. LT can not use "profiles" . So you have to actually use "regedit" and go directly into the registry and export the correct "reg key" for the "<<unnamed profile>>" that ACLT actually uses.

Here is the location of the "<<unnamed profile>>" reg key on my PC:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Autodesk/AutoCAD LT/R10/ACLT-301:409/Profiles/<<Unnamed Profile>>]

When you export the "reg key" it will export to a "*.reg" file. Edit if needed (as mentioned above). Then you can use the "*.reg" file to set-up all PC's. When exported the "<<unnamed profile>>" "*.reg" file is virtually the exact same as a "*.arg" file for full version, except there are no built in tools for exporting and importing the files or switching between them. But if you have a reg file with all your settings in it you can (with ACLT closed) run the "*.reg" file and it will put the correct settings into the ACLT portion of the registry so the next time you fire up ACLT it has the correct settings.

If you are not familiar with the registry I must compel you to use caution when editing the files to change log-in names and user names (or anything else). Mucking up the registry can really cause some headaches. Just remember to keep a backup of your original settings before trying to change anything.

If you need any assistance just let me know and I can try to explain this a little more thoroughly. This works well as this is the way I have setup all our LT machines in all our offices (about. 200 machines).

Ty
    Last edited by tyshofner; 2005-10-25 at 01:24 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to johan d's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

What are the lines you can safetley clean out?

Login to Give a bone

You can clean out just about any line that is a specific setting. Just be aware of the "path" headers (these point to where in the registry the info is being written) if you remove all the "settings" under a certain header, then you need to remove the header as well. Basically when I clean my reg file I'll remove all the user specific settings like all the dialog settings (these are what "remember" where you were last in a specific dialog box, as well as the size of the box) or the color settings for the drawing window, etc.. Just play around with it, but be careful and ALWAYS keep a back-up copy of the reg file to fall back on should you mess anything up.

Also, if you would like for me to post my reg file I use for my office just let me know.

Ty
    Last edited by tyshofner; 2006-03-30 at 04:26 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to johan d's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

That would be nice, i don't think i can use them. We have other toolbars, menu's...
    But i might have them as a guidance...

And if i should use your reg file, wouldn't it cause damage due to other OS-settings, other versions of ACAD, etc...?