Thread: Enhanced Hatch Tool for Tool Palettes

Wish List Administration

Default Enhanced Hatch Tool for Tool Palettes

Summary: Ability to set background colour and boundary creating of Tool Palette Hatch Tool

Description: Ok,

So I would say that this is just a, now long ignored, oversight with AutoCAD;

Being able to specify a 'background colour' for a hatch is a great thing... but it doesn't work with tool palettes. You should be able to set this in the properties of the hatch tool.

It's also quite annoying that the only option for creating a hatch boundary from the tool palettes is 'pick point' and it is even more annoying that you can only creat one hatch at a time.

Let's get this fixed!!!

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Tool Palette

Submitted By: Chris Mackay on 05/12/2014

Default Re: Enhanced Hatch Tool for Tool Palettes

FWIW -

I obviously cannot fix the Tool Palette issue you're experiencing, but in the interim, the quickest way I know of hatching one or more closed polylines is to simply select them on screen and right click:

The next update to my Right Click Hatch app will add 'favorites' functionality, where the user can configure pre-defined, or commonly used hatch patterns (i.e., Favorite Name, Color, Density, Layer, Linetype, Pattern, and Rotation, etc.).

Here's a quick video demonstration.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Thanks Black Box,

That seems like a handy tool. However, I set up a lot of custom content management for small, medium and large AutoCAD using companies. Company tool palettes stored centrally on a server is the way to do this. My issue is that the hatch tool has been lagging behind the hatch command for some time now. I would basically like to see the hatch tool properties dialog box updated to include the background hatch property, and maybe an option for a 'flyout' (like with the tool palette command tool) which would let you choose pick point or select objects. I've even set up pretty simple macro launched from the tool palette that sets the hatch properties, and I have two versions of each tool, one for pick point and one for select objects. This is a workaround that shouldn't exist in my opinion however.

Your "favourites" idea is a good one Blackbox, but in the context of a multi-user managed CAD environment, I would prefer that the tool palettes were updated.

many thanks

Chris
    Last edited by chris.mackay434411; 2014-05-12 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.mackay434411 View Post
    Thanks Black Box,

That seems like a handy tool. However, I set up a lot of custom content management for small, medium and large AutoCAD using companies. Company tool palettes stored centrally on a server is the way to do this. My issue is that the hatch tool has been lagging behind the hatch command for some time now. I would basically like to see the hatch tool properties dialog box updated to include the background hatch property, and maybe an option for a 'flyout' (like with the tool palette command tool) which would let you choose pick point or select objects. I've even set up pretty simple macro launched from the tool palette that sets the hatch properties, and I have two versions of each tool, one for pick point and one for select objects. This is a workaround that shouldn't exist in my opinion however.

Your "favourites" idea is a good one Blackbox, but in the context of a multi-user managed CAD environment, I would prefer that the tool palettes were updated.

many thanks

Chris
    That is kind of you to say, Chris; thank you.

I cannot argue anything you're requesting, as I entirely agree... Here's wishing for the tangible result of your words to be included in Autodesk's next release.

The only thing I can add, is that I'm a production guy, and CAD Admin; I know fully how difficult it is to support a multi-user environment, and for that reason chose to have my app store all persistent settings in a simple .XML file within the app's .bundle (default), which can easily be moved to any network accessible folder, as 'favorites' are loaded via the FindFile() Method (i.e., not local ..\ApplicationPlugins\ folder-dependent). This allows CAD Admin to setup once, and make accessible to all users in one shot. Lemon squeezy.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000