View Poll Results: Would you like to have this feature?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - Yes very much

11 34.38%
  • 4 Stars

2 6.25%
  • 3 Stars

6 18.75%
  • 2 Stars

5 15.63%
  • 1 Star - No not at all

8 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ability to unfold a 3D object

All AUGI, all the time cadkiller's Avatar

Default Ability to unfold a 3D object

Group;

I would like to have this capability in Revit.
    To be able to unfold a 3D object and have it create a flat pattern.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar

Default Re: Ability to unfold a 3D object

We have that ability already... it's called a 3D printer
    Cool idea for creating 'instant' cardstock models but not really sure how you would handle some of the more complex 3D geometry in a building. An elevation unfolded is not just going to be the projected elevation on a flat plane. How would it do soffits and recessed windows and stuff like that?
    I think there are some third party ACAD apps that do this for pattern making in the manuf industry. Could you export your Revit model as a 3D dwg or dxf and bring i into pone of those apps?

FormZ will do it. maybe try exporting to dwg, importing that to Z, and unfolding?

Would be cool... Would it unfold to a detail view and drafting lines?

Can't see the use for it with building models. For manufacturing, sure, but then there must be other tools for that purpose. I'd rather not see development time spent elsewhere.

I have to ask: why do you want this?

I presently can do this with AutoCAD and a lisp program. I don't want to purchase another program just to unfold 3D objects, as I have too many programs as it is already. I want to eventually be 100% Revit and not have all these different programs that I have to master just to do my job.

It's funny that you mention building elevations, as I'm working on this building that has skewed angled walls. The Architect of record developed elevations of the building, as if they were unfolded and you were looking at them perpendicular to their face. If the Architect was using Revit, they would have had a hard time developing them the way they did. How would these elevations look if they had all these overlapping wall conditions with skewed windows and doors?

Unfolding 3D objects isn't just for building elevations. This tool would be able to unfold structural pipe wraps, sheet metal work, hoppers, curved stringers and curved railings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar

As I'm currently reviewing shop drawings for store fronts, I'd use it for segmented store front elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by gibson.tim
    Can't see the use for it with building models. I have to ask: why do you want this?
    Imagine designing a warped stainless steel skin for a building like Frank Gehry does and be able to extract patterns for the shop to fabricate from.

Well at least some people think of this feature as being worthy to implement.
    Unfortunately they're ArchiCAD users. The following was extracted from the link.

http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/....jsp?id=317978

This fires up MaxonForm and transfers the model from ArchiCAD. The project, or the chosen parts of the project, exist in one program or the other to help avoid confusion. Now you can freely manipulate the objects using various intuitive deformer tools. Colors can be assigned to organic shapes in MaxonForm. They become parametric materials in ArchiCAD, so can be set later when needed. Once complete, any selected items are transferred in their entirety back to ArchiCAD as a GDL object. Back in ArchiCAD, there's also an accurate 2D representation based on horizontal cut planes, and correct sectioning of the element.

I'm not sure if this means that they get an unfolded view of the free form shape or what.
    What is your interpretation?

No, I would think that means that they can cut a section and get it acurately in 3D. Or look at an elevation and have it acurate. That's how I read it anyway, and Revit can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sfaust
    No, I would think that means that they can cut a section and get it acurately in 3D. Or look at an elevation and have it acurate. That's how I read it anyway, and Revit can do that.
    I 'unfold' things out of Revit and fabricate them via CNC all the time. What I do is model the whole product in Revit, either as a Family or an in-place component (depending on the task). I then copy out the parts of that item to 'explode' it out (so that all it's parts aren't connected together anymore). I then take a series of section cuts, elevations, and callouts that produces dead-on 2D outlines of those parts. Finally, I export those views out as DXF's and pull them into my CNC toolpathing software for layout and cutting.

While it's not 100% automated it is completely possible to 'unfold' things in this way, simply by taking lots of sections and elevations and plans of it that are aligned with it's various parts.

Here's some stools we just made to match a kitchen island we made earlier for my uncle:
    http://www.becausewecan.org/node/163

And with your elevation example, I've worked on buildings like that in Revit (angled, non-90 degree in plan buildings). To make the overall elevations you simply take two elevations, one that's dead-on for each face of the building, and then snap them side-by-side on the sheet. Not 100% ideal, yeah, but it totally works fine. No 'unfolding' required.

With the curvy skin stuff I think what you're talking about is the kinds of sheet-metal fabrication toolsets that are built into manufacturing tools like Inventor or Catia. This is where you can model any organic shape you want, and have the system 'unfold' it so that it's rendered into flat parts. Typically this is used for much more mundane design tasks, like designing the folding cardboard packing that held your Dell in it's box when they shipped it to you (as well as the metal frame inside of it's case fabricated from stamped and folded sheet metal) than it's used for anything artsy, hence why Revit doesn't do this. In the future, if there is call for such tools, maybe the API will become robust enough so that one could make one that works within Revit. And there isn't any reason in the world that you couldn't export Solids out of Revit and then bring them into one of these tools to do exactly what you want today, and once I get my hands on a copy of Inventor or it's ilk, you'll see me do exactly that with Revit and CNC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast