Thread: Ability to SaveAs an Older Version

Wish List Administration

Default Ability to SaveAs an Older Version

Summary: To have drawings that are compatible wtih previous versions of IV

Description: Backwards compatability of files that is to be able to save a file to a previous release.

How Used: In my job as a contract designer I find that not all companies have the latest release of Inventor as I do so either I have multiple copies of Inventor on my computer or I am unable to provide them with usable files.

Feature Affinity: Other

Submitted By: Barry Cowley on April 9, 2006

Default Re: Ability to SaveAs an Older Version

ADSK should be able to make backward compatible drawings IDWs very easily, after all it is little more than 2D lines on paper.
    It should also be able to make backward compatible 3D models. ADSK knows all the different ways features have been created in past versions, so it should be able re-write the data-set for supported features. For un-supported features it is possible to create un-editable dumb features - similar to the un-editable dumb solids - SAT, STEP, IGES etc or create them out of surfaces etc.
    At least it would be possible to share files far more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Anderson
    It should also be able to make backward compatible 3D models. ADSK knows all the different ways features have been created in past versions...
    What if the ability to create a particular feature simply didn't exist in an older version ?? How do you make a sculpted feature compatible with IV10 or IV9 and so on ?? What happens to a centerline-loft in IV8 ?? Or surface-to-surface fillets ??

You need to move to new versions in order to *get* these benefits or new features and abilities. In order to make something backwards-compatible, you'd have to create your models by not using these new features so that older versions can understand them. If you don't use the new features, why upgrade ??

Quote Originally Posted by hallstevenson
    What if the ability to create a particular feature simply didn't exist in an older version ?? How do you make a sculpted feature compatible with IV10 or IV9 and so on ?? What happens to a centerline-loft in IV8 ?? Or surface-to-surface fillets ??

If the feature didn't exist, ie. it is an un-supported feature - use dumb features - on a par with dumb solids.

It would mean that the files created in latter versions of Inv are able to be opened in earlier versions. At least some of the features would be editable. The other could be edited using surface tools etc.

But the main benefit would be the ability to open the files and use them within an assembly created by a previous version - with limited functionality.

I know ADSK want us to move forward so we get the benefits of the latest technology, but it just not possible for some.

Over all, I can see a big benefit for the whole Inv community.

i don´t know, but this ability don´t exist in all versions of Inventor, because this incompatibility autodesk show the dwf files to use.