See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Trellis

Login to Give a bone

Red face Trellis

I posted some shots of a wood trellis I created. The columns were just downloaded from web (revitcity/revit.com) and added. To create the beams, joists and smalls lattice layer on the very top, I created generic walls and sized them to what I needed, applied a wood material and then grouped and arrayed. The group/array works well for adjusting the trellis size and parameters.

My question is if anybody has created trellis work with actual beams and joists? Would you recommend this way over using generic walls? I used the walls because it was pretty fast to build. Also, with a piece like this, would anyone recommend creating a family or would it be considered to specialized? Please share your Revit management thoughts/ideas.

Thanks,

_mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Trellis

For stuff like this I use the original or modified families for structural objects -- on the attached I modified the beam family to have the cutoffs at the ends. I don't seem to have a newer version of the building rendered from this view.... hmm... ah well, you can see how it works anyway.

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have never done this with walls before. Its kind of messy as it will cause problems if you ever wanted to tag the trellis in a framing plan, or schedule the members. Not very BIM in my opinion. Most of the time I will create this kind of trellis with the beam / dimensional lumber families that Revit Ships with. If the trellis is made of something like 2x2s or saguaro ribs I have made families that flex and add members parametrically. It can save a lot of time if they happen over and over in a project.

BTW - Images look good.

Login to Give a bone

I like to use beams and beam systems with custom families that have beveled ends or shaped ends. The trick is to add the bevel/end feature outside of the ends of the beam, so the 2 pick placement works.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the imput. Looks like I'll try a different way next time.

Keep Reviting.

-mike

Login to Give a bone

I always use generic models because they are more predictable in the way they act than real beams. I am not structural engineer and my designs aren't too elaborate so I don't need to schedule anything. I just need to show it right and dimension it. I get better control with generic models.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I would use a Beam System. Just like the real world all of the beams are set center to center, and you can control spacing alot more simply than in an array. By using walls you limit yourself in managing categories, tagging, lineweights, etc.

beam systems may seem a little clumsy at first, but they are pretty intelligent once you get the hang of them. keep on keepin on.