Thread: Deleting imported DWG files

Login to Give a bone

Default Deleting imported DWG files

Is there an imported (not linked) manager that allows deletion of ghost DWG files? Similar to the raster image manager.

We imported a dwg and it was accidentally erased. The user could not undo back to that point due to all of the other work they had completed. So he imported the same file again. Now we have listed in the visibility box two imported files within the project (the original name & the original name "2"). How can I get rid of the original? When it was initially imported it was placed in only one view so essentially it is deleted but not completely gone. I know you can delete individual layers of the imported file however this is extremely time consuming since the file contains about 100 layers.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Deleting imported DWG files

I have a similar problem. Has anybody ever discovered a solution?

Login to Give a bone

Generally the current version is good about getting rid of the category after the last instance has been deleted. Was this imported using "Current View Only"? And then possibly copied to another view? And then maybe the view was cropped so the import couldn't be seen?

This is what I've found that most often leads to this happening. It can be a real hunt to try to track down the missing import as you pretty much have to go through each view one-by-one.

Login to Give a bone

Long time ago on this thread...

Actually the imported files were just plan backgrounds. The crop region has not been changed. I haven't tried this on 2008 yet though.

Now we are just linking of the files and unloading when we are finished with them.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I ran into this just yesterday and am struggling to get rid of the CAD background. I'm using 2008 and have tried turning the view crop off, turning the crop region off and toggling the reveal hidden elements. Nothing seems to get rid of this CAD background. Normally I would link such things to avoid this whole issue, but I must have done this before my morning coffee on that particular day.

When they were imported, the "Current View Only" was not checked.

Any Thoughts?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

What happens with Purge Unused? The orphaned DWG ought to appear at the top of the list. Check None, then check the orphan and purge.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I can't find the imported drawing in any of the working drawings. it must be referenced somewhere in the drawing , as when i do the purge unused it's not showing it there.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry for digging this up, but this situation apparently hasn't changed after 10 years

Some members in our team imported a dozen of DWGs from their Desktops (Horrible I know!). Later on, others couldn't have these loaded, so they imported OR linked in new DWGs with the same file names to which Revit then appended numbers like (2) or (3), exactly the situation david.delcher had ... It was extremely tedious to check hundreds of views to find these DWGs. Some were even outside of the view's crop region. Even when I found one, I couldn't tell if it was imported or linked to delete it or not!

For now, the only way I can manage this is to use addins like DWG Explorer to delete dwgs directly from VG > Imported Categories or to locate a cad file in its view, check if it's linked or imported and then delete. I then have to useother addins like Purge to remove all rubbish resulted from someone exploding some of these DWGs.

Does anyone know a better way in Revit 2017 to delete these imported DWGs? The addins work great, but I'd rather go without them if possible...