Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revit, Timberline and Innovaya

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit, Timberline and Innovaya

We have been exploring this interface with an area contractor and are looking for a good first "real" project with which to test what we think we have learned. We share a BIM vision with this contractor and are following similar paths. We are quite excited about the possibilities of a true partnership between all members of the team. We have recently found yet another area firm doing something similar using an ABS model instead of Revit (I was not in a position to challenge that choice). The Innovaya program is new but I would like to hear what other users (Building or Structure) have on the boards where this interface might be a factor.

Thoughts? Information to share? Real project comparisons? Are there others partnering with Contractors or Construction Managers yet?

A special thanks to Tom Sweeney at Findorff who introduced us to this remarkable opportunity. We have seen his work and are very impressed. Check out his quote on the first page of the Innovaya link below.
    http://www.innovaya.com/

I look forward to your thoughts.
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2006-05-01 at 01:59 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Revit, Timberline and Innovaya

phyllisr,

We have purchased 1 license of Innovaya last week, and are in the early stages of implementation. We think and hope Innovaya will help us in the initial stages of quantity take offs, and schematic estimating.

We are going to approach this software from the ground up (Uniformat style). We are going to map or closely connect the dots between assemblies in Timberline and Revit. We have a large database already built into Timberline, but we might need to start over or save-as and alter the database. Timberline assemblies are very specific about the description of the items in the assemblies. For instance, our first hurdle is going to be footings (we skipped site work). How much do we need to include in the Revit model object or (assembly) for the estimator to tie that object to a assembly in Timberline. Does the trench footing need to have insulation included, rebar tonnage built in? Does the trench footing have over dig built in to the object, crumb footings, or does it have a keyway? Does it have hoops, hoop size, dowels, dowel length? I think you get the idea. We are just starting to scratch the surface and these are questions that have come up for 1 object in Revit.

We have a full boat in our office, General Contractor, in house Project Managers, Estimators, Architects, Structural Engineers, and CADD gurus. From time to time, the super's come into the office for meetings, help with designs, check on construction documents, and maybe, just maybe they might need to pick a addendum. We try and get the whole team involved in the building process.

My 2c

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit, Timberline and Innovaya

How much is it?

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We have been beta testing and helping develop visual estimating with innovaya for a quite awhile now. It is an incredible application that was very well thought out and is very simple to use. We're design-build and have our Estimators, PM's, Superintendents in house, we will be doing our first 'real' project using this software in a couple weeks. I'm very excited about the potential of this software and think it will be a great success.

brickerk, you do not need to build anything extra into your revit model, you simply assign the revit object to a timberline assembly, you do not need to redo your timberline database either, thats the beauty of it. We have a very custom database also and it works near flawlessly, there a few minor things we may need to change but very very minor. Don't hestitate to contact innovaya directly, they are more than willing to help with any question you have.

I just called Kevin Yu and told him about this thread, I'm sure he will add to this

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david.kingham
    We're design-build and have our Estimators, PM's, Superintendents in house, we will be doing our first 'real' project using this software in a couple weeks.
    Do you employ architects on staff for the design or do you contract that independently? Do you build the model in-house or rely on models provided by design partners?

We are starting a project wherein our consultant uses Revit Structure. Have you done any testing to see how the visual estimating works with linked files?

Have you done anything yet pricing Design Options in Revit? Thanks for your response.

Login to Give a bone

Yes we have architects in house, we do all the design and we are building our models in revit. We have tested linked structural files and it works well, there was a problem if the linked files were not at the exact same coordinates, but kevin is working on a solution for that. Currently design options are not supported but they are working on it and it should be in the next release i believe.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by brickerk View Post
    phyllisr,

We have purchased 1 license of Innovaya last week, and are in the early stages of implementation. We think and hope Innovaya will help us in the initial stages of quantity take offs, and schematic estimating.

We are going to approach this software from the ground up (Uniformat style). We are going to map or closely connect the dots between assemblies in Timberline and Revit. We have a large database already built into Timberline, but we might need to start over or save-as and alter the database. Timberline assemblies are very specific about the description of the items in the assemblies. For instance, our first hurdle is going to be footings (we skipped site work). How much do we need to include in the Revit model object or (assembly) for the estimator to tie that object to a assembly in Timberline. Does the trench footing need to have insulation included, rebar tonnage built in? Does the trench footing have over dig built in to the object, crumb footings, or does it have a keyway? Does it have hoops, hoop size, dowels, dowel length? I think you get the idea. We are just starting to scratch the surface and these are questions that have come up for 1 object in Revit.

We have a full boat in our office, General Contractor, in house Project Managers, Estimators, Architects, Structural Engineers, and CADD gurus. From time to time, the super's come into the office for meetings, help with designs, check on construction documents, and maybe, just maybe they might need to pick a addendum. We try and get the whole team involved in the building process.

My 2c
    Aloha,
    I'm very interested in hearing about what you've experienced with Innovaya or any other 4D software.
    thanks,
    jamie
    Jamie Casile
    CAD/BIM Manager
    Pacific CADD Services, Inc.
    ...My Lomography Page...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

How much is the Innovaya and do you normally purchase a suite of apps?

Login to Give a bone

This thread was started over a year and a half ago. It would be nice to hear comments on how this implementation ended up working out and some of the pitfalls that came up, as we are looking at this same combination of software.

--Jim

Login to Give a bone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast