Thread: Changing Line Thickness

Login to Give a bone

Default Changing Line Thickness

We have a drawing here that all the lines are coming in with a thickness applied to them, and no one can figure out how to turn this off. They dont display with anything but the default thickness, but when checking the properties they have a thickness applied ranging from 0" to 7" - it almost looks like whomever created the original drawing setup their plotting lineweights this way.

Thanks
    Chad

ADT 2006 if that affects anything at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Changing Line Thickness

Have you tried the little button on the bottom labeled LWT, or type in LINEWEIGHT and clear the checkbox labeled "Display Lineweight"?

HTH

Login to Give a bone

The first question I have to ask, is how where the drawings created (assuming that you didn't create them yourself). It sounds more like someone converted a .dgn file or exported revit model maybe. I can't believe that anyone would spend the time to apply line weights to objects. The other thought that crosses my mind is maybe exploded AEC objects, but I don't think they take any properties other than layer. If you did create in orginals in house, that's just really
    I hope this gives you a little direction.
    If they do have layers applied and that's what you need in the end, I'd just window the whole drawing, and use the properties window to set all the objects back to how they should be. By Layer. (Or in ADT's case, By Object or Style)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timcreary
    Have you tried the little button on the bottom labeled LWT, or type in LINEWEIGHT and clear the checkbox labeled "Display Lineweight"?

HTH
    That will get them to display with the lineweight, but that shouldn't make a line have a width. That's what plot styles are for.

Login to Give a bone

Oops, I should have read more closely

Actually, isn't thickness "kind of" synonomous with elevation?

As in:

Thickness is a property of certain objects that gives them a 3D appearance.

Thickness is a property of certain objects that gives them a 3D appearance.

The 3D thickness of an object is the distance that object is extended, or thickened, above or below its location in space. Positive thickness extrudes upward in the positive Z direction; negative thickness extrudes downward (negative Z). Zero (0) thickness means that there is no 3D thickening of the object. The Z direction is determined by the orientation of the UCS at the time the object was created. Objects with a non-zero thickness can be shaded and can hide other objects behind them.
    From the help file
    Last edited by .T.; 2006-05-02 at 11:11 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timcreary
    Oops, I should have read more closely

Actually, isn't thickness "kind of" synonomous with elevation?

As in:

From the help file
    It depends on the object you are speaking of. If you add thickness to a pline, yes, you are giving the object a 3rd dimension. You can also give it width. Elevation would tell you where the bottom of the pline is. In terms of a "line" object, given an elevation is just that, a z coordinate. All objects have them, they are just usually set to 0. When you give thickness to an line you are going to override the object plot style and force the object to be say 7mm wide, in model space. Well translate that to an 1/8" drawing, now you are 7/96mm wide when it plots. I use width on plines all the time to draw rebar. The cool thing that you can do with plines is draw a pline 1'-0" long. Set the width of the pline to 1'-0" and the thinkness to 1'-0", now you have something that will represent a 1'-0" "semi solid" Cube. But this is taking us far off the track of the issue in quesion.

Login to Give a bone

Judging by the image the OP posted, the Thickness property in question is the one that has to do with 3d. A simple test would be to rotate the view. And, if this is the case, the change command or properties window can be used to set the thickness for everything to 0.0, if required.
    Last edited by .T.; 2006-05-03 at 05:26 AM.

Login to Give a bone

The thickness is a 3D setting, but I really dont know why, since we do very little, if any 3D work. The only things in the drawing that should be 3D are the walls and doors that were created with ADT.

If I open the properties tab with nothing selected, the default thickness is set to 7" - but again, I have no idea why. Changing that to zero should fix the problem with new lines correct?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

That should do it. But first type "thickness" at the command line. Thickness is a variable sim to plinewid. Make sure that is set to 0. What may have happened, is someone changed that in the properties box before for one line. Which in turn, would effect all new lines that were created.

Login to Give a bone

Actually, the THICKNESS system variable is only changed by the properties dialog if nothing is selected (shows "No selection"). If you have entities selected it only changes the thickness for those entities, and does nothing to the current value for the thickness system variable.