Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAMreport-lite problem

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SAMreport-lite problem

Quote Originally Posted by jpduhon
    The report log is being written to. When I open the log in a text editor it’s just code. Very little clear text. I’m unsure what the file result is supposed to look like so I’m not sure if it’s really working right.
    Yes, it's a binary file so that only Macrovision can provide reporting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by jpduhon
    I also found a document on Macrovision’s site entitled “How To Turn On A Report Log” which talks about an edit that you have to make to the product license file (revit series in our case) in order for it to point to the options file. Is this something that I have to do? Autodesk’s information says nothing about editing the license file and I have borrowing and timeout options running already so I don’t want to try editing the lic file if I don’t have to.
    Never heard of that. You only need the OPTIONS file (named ADSKFLEX.OPT in the license subdirectory) to capture log data.

Have you also looked at JTB FlexReport? [ http://www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport/index.htm ]
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    I have just spoken with the person in our IT department who administers our Autodesk licenses...

Apparently he installed SAMreport-lite, then promptly un-installed it - did not like the interface, functionality, and thought it was overly complicated for such a tool.
    I don't like the interface either, but it's almost a necessary evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    He finds it easier to just log-on to the license-server directly, and perform the tasks he needs to.
    How does your IT guy review the log files?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

RK,

Thank you for reminding me about JTBworld. We had purchased Jimmy’s Smart Purger program at one point in time and we still use it on almost a weekly basis. I’ve gotten in touch with him and received his trial version of flexreport. This was such a relief. It works great and reports exactly what we need it to. I’ll let this run and collect data for a week or so then get approval for purchase.

Thanks again,

Login to Give a bone

As an alternative for something that is easier to use you might want to look at this License statistics tool ( http://www.x-formation.com/license_statistics ). It's inexpensive and provides nice looking graphs that can be presented real-time through a browser.

-- Poul

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Yes, it's a binary file so that only Macrovision can provide reporting tools.

Never heard of that. You only need the OPTIONS file (named ADSKFLEX.OPT in the license subdirectory) to capture log data.

Have you also looked at JTB FlexReport? [ http://www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport/index.htm ]
    Which License Subdirectory SamReport or FlexLM?
    Also, it would be nice if they warned you that installing flexLM changes the path to your license file in FlexLM.

Login to Give a bone

I've checked out the License statistics tool with their online demo and it looks interesting. Has anyone tried this internally???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12