See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Why set-up quick keys to AutoCAD commands on the left hand-side of the keyboard

Login to Give a bone

Smile Why set-up quick keys to AutoCAD commands on the left hand-side of the keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by tomnewsom
    In Autocad, however, I'm a command line wizzard (I map all the commands to the LH side of the keyboard so I don't even have to move my hand) and 2007 just wants to get in my way all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by noozybkk
    Like you, I have everything at my left hand's fingertips. Toolbars and menus are just too slow. (I suppose one of these days I will have to embrace the heads-up display). I have an acad.lsp file that I started in 1997 and am continually adding keyboard shortcuts and stuff to everytime I think of something new.
    so, can you two, and whoever else may fall under this category explain more? Such as, when you say all the commands are on the LH side of the keyboard, what commands? is there a system to choosing the keys? Pretty much just explain what it is you did.

I use they keyboard for the majority of my command entry and osnaps and would save time if i didn't have to move my hand so much...

thanks guys!

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Why set-up quick keys to AutoCAD commands on the left hand-side of the keyboard

good question.. I'm going to go ahead and move this from the acad general forum, as I think it would be better served here.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarx
    so, can you two, and whoever else may fall under this category explain more? Such as, when you say all the commands are on the LH side of the keyboard, what commands? is there a system to choosing the keys? Pretty much just explain what it is you did.

I use they keyboard for the majority of my command entry and osnaps and would save time if i didn't have to move my hand so much...

thanks guys!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why set-up quick keys to AutoCAD commands on the left hand-side of the keyboard

Personnally, I map add-on lisp routines to the LH side. I use "Q", "QW", "CTRL-Q", and "ZZ" (for ZOOM PREVIOUS), "ALT-Z", etc.

This allows you to keep your left hand closer to where it would normally be if you were to remove your right hand from the mouse/trackball and start typing.

[stupid i'm a stud voice on]
    I also have the amazing ability to type over 30 wpm with just my left hand.
    [stupid i'm a stud voice off]

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why set-up quick keys to AutoCAD commands on the left hand-side of the keyboard

I use the whole keyboard. I just make sure that my keyboard isn't ergonomic with the split keys.

I try to keep the letters for the shortcuts close to each other. For example AutoCAD's default for rotate is "ro" and copy is "co". Using these means you have to move your hand from one side to the other. So my shortcuts for rotate is "rr" and copy is "cc". The keys are close by and easy to type without looking at the keyboard.

I noticed that my examples were shortcuts that repeat letters. So other short cuts I use "ref" for refedit "pi" for layiso. I use "pi" instead of "li" because "li" is "list" and I had a lisp that was called pickiso.lsp that would isolate layers before the bonus or express menus existed. I try to leave the acad default commands alone unless I had the shortcut before acad did.

I think when setting up your shortcuts the keys you select should make sense to you so when you are cadding you remember what the shortcut was. It doesn't matter what the next guy uses. But that falls back to my old saying "there is more than one way to draw a line". I can think of at least 4 ways off the top of my head.

Login to Give a bone

They are talking about "command aliases" (look it up in help if this is new to you).

From Help -

A command alias is an abbreviation that you enter on the command line instead of entering the entire command name.

For example, you can enter c instead of circle to start the CIRCLE command. An alias is not the same as a keyboard shortcut, which is a combination of keystrokes, such as CTRL+S for SAVE.

An alias can be defined for any AutoCAD command, device driver command, or external command. The second section of the acad.pgp file defines command aliases. You can change existing aliases or add new ones by editing acad.pgp in an ASCII text editor (such as Notepad). To open the PGP file, on the Tools menu, click Customize Edit Program Parameters (acad.pgp).

Note Before you edit acad.pgp, create a backup so that you can restore it later, if necessary.

To define a command alias, add a line to the command alias section of the acad.pgp file using the following syntax:

abbreviation,*command

~more~

I could stop if I wanted to JASONM30395's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

thanks guys!
    I knew a guy who set all his aliases to not go past the TGB "column" on a QWERT keyboard. This kept everything on the LH side but made for some "wierd" shortcuts.

ex.
    rt=rotate
    qa=line
    zx=zoom extents
    ect.
    ect.

Fortunately (as I recall) this didn't alter any of the "built-in" shortcuts so others could use his comp as well, but he was like a fish out of water on anyone elses box.

The way I see it If it takes me a 1/4 second to move my finger the lenght of the keyboard so be it. It'll give my arm a little exercise!
    Loyalty above all else except honor
    For my honor is my life!

Login to Give a bone

I understood the concept, i mostly wanted to know how everyone dealt with issues as far as the shortcuts making sense..

for example, what keys people used for PL and so on...

I may play with this some, but i have become fairly good with one hand over the whole keyboard... so... we shall see.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Why set-up quick keys to AutoCAD commands on the left hand-side of the keyboard

I must admit I tend to stick to the default command keys. If they are all changed to be something else (for whatever reason) and then you decide to change jobs or work in a different office for example, then it must be difficult to readjust.

Having said that though, I can understand why people change the defaults especially for combining commands such as ZE being zoom extents where as that would originally be an option from within the zoom command.

But I guess we are all different aninmals - would't it be boring if we were all the same.

Login to Give a bone

FWIW, my pgp edits:
    Most are lefty sensitive, many are lisps, and some are obsolete, but still insist on hangin around.
    /, *PLOT
    `, *SAVE
    1, *MATCHPROP
    2, *PAN
    3D, *3DORBIT
    A, *ARC
    AA, *ATTEDIT
    AE, *ALIASEDIT
    AL, *ALIGN
    AP, *APPLOAD
    AR, *ARRAY
    B, *BLOCK
    BH, *BHATCH
    BR, *BREAK
    C, *COPY
    CC, *CIRCLE
    CM, *COPYM
    ****, *UNDOALL
    D, *DIMLINEAR
    DA, *DIMALIGNED
    DAD, *DIMADJ
    DC, *DIMCONTINUE
    DD, *DIMANGULAR
    DI, *DIST
    DO, *DONUT
    DQ, *QDIM
    DR, *DIMRADIUS
    DRE, *DIMREASSOCIATE
    DT, *TEXT
    DX, *DIMDIAMETER
    E, *ERASE
    ED, *DDEDIT
    EL, *ELLIPSE
    EX, *EXTEND
    F, *FILLET
    FI, *FT2IN
    FT, *FLIPTEXT
    G, *PLINE
    GRD, *GITRDONE!
    H, *WOODHATCH
    HI, *HIDE
    I, *INSERT
    JDI, *JUSTDOIT&QUITUR**TCHIN!
    L, *LINE
    LFD, *LYRFLTRDEL
    LI, *LIST
    LT, *LOADTOOLBOX
    M, *MOVE
    MM, *MIRROR
    MT, *MTJUST
    N, *DIVIDE
    O, *OFFSET
    OP, *OPTIONS
    OS, *OSNAP
    P, *PEDIT
    PCD, *POINTCLICKDONE
    PJ, *POLYLINEJOIN
    POO, *@#%$#&*!##@!
    PU, *PURGE
    Q, *QLEADER
    R, *ROTATE
    RE, *REGEN
    REV, *REVCLOUD
    RR, *RECTANG
    RV, *MVSETUP
    S, *STRETCH
    SC, *SCALE
    SP, *SPELL
    SS, *SETSCALE
    ST, *STYLE
    T, *TRIM
    TWE, *THATWASEASY
    TF, *TEXTFIT
    TT, *TXT2MTXT
    V, *PREVIEW
    VI, *VISIBILITY
    W, *WBLOCK
    X, *EXPLODE
    Z, *ZOOM

Login to Give a bone

Well I primarily try to keep keys close to each other although closer to the left side works better. As far as changing jobs goes, I save my pgp and take it along if I have to work in another office.

Whatever works best for you is what matters.