View Poll Results: Would you like to see annotation subcategories for dimension and text types?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • To die for

2 16.67%
  • It would ease my life considerably

3 25.00%
  • I suppose so

2 16.67%
  • Don't care

5 41.67%

Thread: Annotation subcategories for dimension types and text types

All AUGI, all the time

Default Annotation subcategories for dimension types and text types

For example, I do as-built information in it's own color and do dimensions and text notes in the same color. It would be nice not to have to add more levels and elevations to my browser to turn these on/off. The more flexibility in these little things, the more friendly the program appears to newbies (& oldies).
    Last edited by narlee; 2006-05-11 at 10:00 PM.

Default Re: Annotation subcategories for dimension types and text types

Quote Originally Posted by narlee
    For example, I do as-built information in it's own color and do dimensions and text notes in the same color. It would be nice not to have to add more levels and elevations to my browser to turn these on/off. The more flexibility in these little things, the more friendly the program appears to newbies (& oldies).
    The poll leaves out any way to say that someone would prefer to NOT have this functionality. The poll should at least offer this option. It is quite intentional that Revit doesn't make it easy to do this.

I am currently having a house built, and I required the architect to switch to Revit to do the project. However, he is still learning Revit and is doing some of the drawings in AutoCAD. I can tell which drawings were done in AutoCAD because they display something they shouldn't, or don't display something they should. There's always something on the wrong layer, and when the drawing was plotted something that should have shown up is on a layer that was turned off for display. (Or, the scale of the view is wrong, or the plan is inconsistent with the elevation, yadda yadda...)

One of the things we wanted to get away from in Revit is this whole dance of turning on and off appropriate layers when plotting. With very few exceptions, what you see on the screen is the way the thing is plotted. Since text notes and dimensions are view-specific, if you don't want to see them when plotted it is best not to put them in the view in the first place. That way you don't have to make sure the view settings are right when it comes time to plot. Many users we talked to thought that too much flexibility in this area is actually a negative -- it leads to mistakes.

On the other hand, just last night I created a drawing to show my architect where I wanted something placed. I had a lot of dimensions on the drawing for my own information, but to make things clear I only wanted to show him the two critical ones. I didn't want to delete the others, so I ended up duplicating the view. It would have been nice to temporarily turn off the other dimensions just for plotting. But we'd need some way to make sure that it could only be used by us good users who won't abuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by irwin
    One of the things we wanted to get away from in Revit is this whole dance of turning on and off appropriate layers when plotting. With very few exceptions, what you see on the screen is the way the thing is plotted. Since text notes and dimensions are view-specific, if you don't want to see them when plotted it is best not to put them in the view in the first place. That way you don't have to make sure the view settings are right when it comes time to plot. Many users we talked to thought that too much flexibility in this area is actually a negative -- it leads to mistakes.
    Well said Irwin! I am in 100% Agreement.

All AUGI, all the time

I disagree with the argument that flexibility is negative, and it would seem consistent with the flexibility of other categories. Nevertheless, I tried, but couldn't figure out, how to add the vote category you are seeking (arrhhhh - not enough flexibilty).

All AUGI, all the time janunson's Avatar

I think the functionality you're looking for can be found by using multiple copies of a view, each containing the notations that they require for their specific purpose. Thus like Irwin stated - each view has exactly what it should in it, and no technical maniuplations are required to display the correct information in each view.

All AUGI, all the time

Ahhh. I can see by the poll that I'm outnumbered. Hey, but like a politician, I only have faith in polls when they agree with ME!