Thread: Help - Lost in Civil 3D, require some guidance

Login to Give a bone

Question Help - Lost in Civil 3D, require some guidance

I work for an offshore pipeline company, and we have always used basic AutoCAD. I have used LDT in the past for other companies and know the basics. I am currently testing C3D to see how it can benefit our company. I have reviewed documentation after documentation and have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to run alignment sheet generation (individual layouts) through Sheet Set Manager?
    2. If not, can the alignment generation process be done using another tool?
    3. What are the benefits of using Sheet Set Manager?
    4. What is the best way build a surface, and can it be built by using a DTM file?
    5. What comes first DTM or DEM?
    6. What happened to the Terrain Manager?
    7. Is there a way to run M.P./K.P. with having to update each block?
    8. Can points be created using measure w/o specifying each point elevation and or description? Can the elevation/description be hard set?

Any information that can be provided will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help - Lost in Civil 3D, require some guidance

i could only answer questions 4, 6, and 8.

4. The best way to build a surface actually depends upon your available data and type of surface your creating (whether it is existing or finished grade). There are a lot surface generation options, you could use contour lines, tin lines, dem files, point data, 3d polylines, point data. You could also create a surface from corridor models or grading objects. It really depends on what type of work you will be doing and what method you are most comfortable.

6. The terrain model explorer which is found on ldt has been put on the prospector tab of the toolspace. On General Menu>Show Toolspace. Select the prospector tab and select surface. TME is no longer there, but replaced by a Surface directory.

8. Before starting to create points, click the chevron symbol on the points toolbar. under points creations settings> select none for Point Elevation and Point Description. With this, you will be creating points by coordiantes only.

i hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

1.,2. I think you are looking for the Sheet Manager functionality of LDD (NOT the Sheet Set Manager of Vanilla Autocad - they're two different things). The Sheet Manager isn't in Civil-3D (yet). From what I hear, a lot of people do the design in Civil-3D, then export the project info to LDD to create the sheets. Civil-3D still has some gaps to fill before it becomes the all-in-one solution that Autodesk advertises.

3. SSM helps manage plan set creation. Detail callouts can be linked to views, and page numbers get automatically updated in the callouts when the page numbers change. Information that is common to multiple sheets can be stored in the SSM; if that information changes, the user only has to change it in one place, and the change is reflected in all appropriate sheets. Tables of contents can be easily created. SSM also functions as a combination browser/open/new dialog box. And since it is organized like the table of contents, it can make it easier to navigate than a directory full of oddly-named dwg files, especially to someone not familiar with the file naming conventions being in use (such as when sharing files between companies).

4. What do you mean by DTM file? Is it a file produced by some other software? Most software is capable of LandXML import/export, which is usually the easiest way to get surfaces between software packages.

7. What is "M.P./K.P."?

Login to Give a bone

I apprecate the help! Yes...I am looking for Sheet Manager from LDD. As for the your questions:
    4. What do you mean by DTM file? Is it a file produced by some other software? Most software is capable of LandXML import/export, which is usually the easiest way to get surfaces between software packages.

7. What is "M.P./K.P."?

DTM is a file that my engineers provide me to make surfaces, they are like DEMs. They basically are extension files ending in .xyz. I do offshore pipeline and need to run mile and kilo post. I have finally received a demo of LDD, and am having to get back into using it. Any suggestions on the Sheet Manager, and the easiest way of setting it up? Again, I appreciate the help!

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lizar,
    Check out the fourth or fifth post in this thread for some help (I Hope!)