See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: casework tag help

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default casework tag help

I am creating standards for our casework to take advantage to REVIT. The way i want to set up the tag is C45 where is denotes the type (base, wall, etc) the 4 denotes the width (ie 4 = 400mm) and 5 is the elevation. if that being said i want to know the best method for creating the tag and the millwork.

I dont know enough about the tags to start off so i want to try to explain what i want to do with the casework family. If i create the family where the elevation (5 part of the tag) is always constant and the type is always constant (base cabinet) will i be able to create the varying heights and width all in the same family and have the tag read it properly?

So the family would always be a 5 elevation, and the type would always be a base cabinet (for example), but could i get the tag to show a 4 when it is 400mm and 5 if it where 500mm and 6 if it where 600mm etc?

I imagine that i would need some formulas, but i am curious if it will actually work. also would i need a project parameter to get the type and elevation to read the tag, or is this a shared parameter? What is the real difference between shared and project parameters, and when do you use each?

Thanks

Justin

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: casework tag help

Justin,

I'm guessing you'll be using the Type Mark parameter under the Identity section to feed the information to the tag. The simple way to do what you are describing is to just fill in the Type Mark for each different cabinet type you make. If you really want to have that information generated by the dimensional parameters of the family, you are out of my league, and, I'm guessing that you'll need some rather fancy formulas to convert lengths to integers and then concatenate the cabinet type with the integers into one parameter that can feed the tag.

If it were me, I would simply fill in the Type Mark by hand as I created each cabinet type.

Login to Give a bone

that was what i was thinking, but i was trying to remove some human error from the process. if i could get the automatic function then i could limit the amount of families that i create. The only way now to have the tag read eaxctly what the casework is, is to create each type at each height (some thing that i was trying not to do). I will have to trust my users a little more and create the single casework with the varying heights and widths and hope that they are diligant in there work!

Anyone else have any ideas? How is your casework being handled?

Justin

Login to Give a bone

Explore the formulas more, if there is a concatenate function, you may be able to automate it.

Login to Give a bone

Checked help. No concatenate that I found. Just thought of this - you could also just make a tag family that has three labels positioned side by side that pull info from three different parameters (they'd have to be shared if they aren't native). You may need to do some unit conversion when you create the integers for the "4" and the "5". Voila! Problem solved.

Login to Give a bone

what about the parameters? when do you use a shared parameter, or a project parameter (not shared, i know shared parameters can be project as well). I dont fully understand the difference and when to use it.

Justin

Login to Give a bone

A little fuzzy on this myself, but I know if you are going to have the parameter in a tag or schedule, I know it must be shared.

Login to Give a bone

this sounds pretty good. I will try and see what happens.

THanks

Jusitn