Thread: Layer manager frequently “forgets” to show or not show Xref Layers

Login to Give a bone

Default Layer manager frequently “forgets” to show or not show Xref Layers

have noticed I am having difficulties using the layer manager. It seems to occur with xrefed drawings. The layer manager frequently “forgets” to show or not show xrefed drawings after it has been saved and you continue to work for awhile. I can’t even count the number of times I have saved the column grid on and it disappears, the food service equipment is now doing the same thing.

Also, it is not very helpful to use for the enlarged drawings. It does not pull all the saved layer states over to the enlarged drawings. This means we all have to frequently check the enlarged floor plans to manually turn on/off the correct layers.

Any thoughts on why layer manager does not work very well? Is it just me?

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Layer manager frequently “forgets” to show or not show Xref Layers

Quote Originally Posted by Kiduno99
    have noticed I am having difficulties using the layer manager. It seems to occur with xrefed drawings. The layer manager frequently “forgets” to show or not show xrefed drawings after it has been saved and you continue to work for awhile. I can’t even count the number of times I have saved the column grid on and it disappears, the food service equipment is now doing the same thing.

Also, it is not very helpful to use for the enlarged drawings. It does not pull all the saved layer states over to the enlarged drawings. This means we all have to frequently check the enlarged floor plans to manually turn on/off the correct layers.

Any thoughts on why layer manager does not work very well? Is it just me?

What is your "visretain" set at? If it's 0 (zero) your xrefs won't remember changes you make.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer manager frequently “forgets” to show or not show Xref Layers

Maybe that's not exactly your issue and maybe you already know, but visretain (set at 1) "locks" what the xref looks like as you work.
    If you change a color or line type in your base, it wont reflect in the drawing your xreffing it into. In the same token, if you change colors, linetypes, freeze etc. xref layers in the drawing the xref is in, it keeps those settings.

if you add or rename a layer in the base, it will show up in your xref in the state it exists when you reload or open the drawing.

Ted