Thread: Recessed Windows

Login to Give a bone

Question Recessed Windows

I am trying to "install" windows recessed into my wall and let my finish material (stucco in this case) wrap into the window frame with a radius detail instead of squared off. Is this possible? I have built this before in the "real world" by using 2x6 framing for walls with 1/2" shear, oversizing the rough openings, wrapping the inside of the openings with 2x4s to which the window fins were attached. This gave me a difference of nearly 4" between the surface of the stucco and the window frame. My feeble attempt to mimic this with fillet walls, etc. will not work for above and below the window. I need this to work for arch top windows also. Is there a way to create a window family that would do this "automatically" by specifying the trim as the stucco? Please help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time eddy.lermytte's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Recessed Windows

Maybe not what you are looking for ... I just started to create a Rfa without much consideration and ended with this.

Under Type properties > construction > you will find the parameter
    Wall Thickness. Set this one in accordance with the wall thickness you drop the Rfa in.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Recessed Windows

Thanks Eddie,
    What you have there is a good start. What I am really after is trying to use existing window familes (this house specifies Andersen) and modify the openings once the windows are in, but I guess that is not how Revit works. I guess I would have to create my own family(ies) right? I also want the radius wrap on only 3 sides (I guess easy enough to not sweep through the sill). Also, how would this work for different radius tops and windows with divided lights? It sounds like a fairly complicated family for a rookie like me.