See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving walls

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Moving walls

I know, very basic question but I'm yet to find a solution I'm satisfied with.

The attached image is an "arrow" I've drawn. See the dimension? How do I make the model reflect the fact I want that dimension to be 25'-0"?

Now I'm aware how to change the dimensions of the individual walls. I also know I can pick both walls and "click and drag" that corner. In ADT (or AutoCAD if these were lines) I could simply do a window around the "point" and stretch it down an exact distance. My problem with using Revit (I'm positive I'm overlooking an easy solution) is that for this point I can't get it to give me a temporary dimension. It will for the walls themselves, but I don't care about their length. It will as I drag it down, but it won't allow me to enter input.

Oddly, I made it twice through a Revit Level 1 textbook and it never tells me the best solution. As of now I have a workaround to get it done, but I know I've just not been instructed on an easy input feature to deal with this in my book.

Extra for good answers and understanding of Revit 101!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Moving walls

Have you tried using a reference plane? You might dimension to that and then lock the wall end to it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chris.74844
    Have you tried using a reference plane? You might dimension to that and then lock the wall end to it.
    Hmm... yes, that does work... I'd just be surprised if I actually found something AutoCAD would be better equipped to handle at this basic stage in the game (since Revit has been better in so many other ways)...

I appreciate the tip!
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2006-05-18 at 05:22 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Judging by the names I've been watching move in and out of this thread I have to imagine this isn't quite as dumb of a question as I first thought.... its the first time I feel good for not getting the answer I wanted to hear.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone for at least looking!

Let me know if you have a better solution, for now I'll accept Reference Plane as being the best bet but I'm still open to other ideas.

Why I ran into this is that for my first Revit project I'm modeling a building we may be purchasing. Well the original plans are from 1956 and not well dimensioned. In order to model it correctly I needed that point to be at 20' after I originally "sketched" it in just for reference. Unfortunately, I found I couldn't easily tweak it...

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

In the long run you will find that reference plane are way better then using plan AuoCAD. In a simple situation like what you got i have to agree that AutoCAD would have been faster but imagine having structural tied to a grid with a lot of dimensions and notes around. Making a stretch wouldnt be as easy but moving the ref plane would allow you to cooordinate everything in a flash.

Login to Give a bone

This does highlight Revit's strongly orthographic bias. It seams to lose some of it's efficiency when everything isn't parallel or square. At lease with traditional cad you could change your USC. Out of curiosity, what did support have to say?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

To lay this out you could have used the work plane visible option and moved/rotated the grid to make it easier to snap into the correct assumptions in the first place. Setting the grid to 5' bay spacing would make it easier to position the angled walls at exactly the right spot?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    To lay this out you could have used the work plane visible option and moved/rotated the grid to make it easier to snap into the correct assumptions in the first place. Setting the grid to 5' bay spacing would make it easier to position the angled walls at exactly the right spot?
    *nods* Yes, that it would have! Once again, something not in my book!
    I'll play with that feature tomorrow morning.

Login to Give a bone

Steve, that's a great feature which I've never taken advantage of, but it seams to circumscribe the problem of "hard to edit angled walls" by saying "draw it right the first time."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast