Thread: Some settings are not set when Importing a Profile into a different Computer

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Some settings are not set when Importing a Profile into a different Computer

According to AutoCAD 2005 & 2006 Help, to retain changes on the various Tabs in the Options Dialog Box, I must export the current profile & then import that same profile to update the profile settings (excluding drawing file specific settings designated by the ACAD version icon). But when I import that updated profile on a different computer, some of the settings are not retained (such as pickbox size on the Selection Tab, Autosnap Marker Color & Magnet off on the Drafting Tab, and settings in the Properties... Current 3D Graphics Display on the System Tab).

Why can't I retain these changes?

The profile also stores the size of various dialog boxes I've enlarged such as: Block, Insert, Xref, Layer Properties Manager, Rename, View. Curiously the DB size changes are retained in the profile.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Some settings are not set when Importing a Profile into a different Computer

Quote Originally Posted by rbdome
    According to AutoCAD 2005 & 2006 Help, to retain changes on the various Tabs in the Options Dialog Box, I must export the current profile & then import that same profile to update the profile settings (excluding drawing file specific settings designated by the ACAD version icon). But when I import that updated profile on a different computer, some of the settings are not retained (such as pickbox size on the Selection Tab, Autosnap Marker Color & Magnet off on the Drafting Tab, and settings in the Properties... Current 3D Graphics Display on the System Tab).
    Some of those are stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.0\ACAD-xxxx:xxx\FixedProfile\Editor Configuration

But the information in the "profile" is stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.0\ACAD-xxxx:xxx\Profiles\<<Name of Profile>>

...and this is what gets exported to an ARG file (which is nothing more than a REG file)

Quote Originally Posted by rbdome
    The profile also stores the size of various dialog boxes I've enlarged such as: Block, Insert, Xref, Layer Properties Manager, Rename, View. Curiously the DB size changes are retained in the profile.
    They are also stored under the profile.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.0\ACAD-xxxx:xxx\Profiles\<<Name of Profile>>\Dialogs

When you are ready to get serious about machine configuration, forget the ARG import /export nonsense and set your desired settings during AutoCAD startup, via the "acad.lsp", "acaddoc.lsp" and/or the "acad.rx" files.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Some settings are not set when Importing a Profile into a different Computer

Hi

Simple answer, not everything that is set within the Options dialog box is stored within an AutoCAD Profile when you Export to an ARG file.

If you Open an ARG file in a Plain Text Editor you will see what is stored in there.

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    Some of those are stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.0\ACAD-xxxxxx\FixedProfile\Editor Configuration

But the information in the "profile" is stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.0\ACAD-xxxxxx\Profiles\<<Name of Profile>>

...and this is what gets exported to an ARG file (which is nothing more than a REG file)

They are also stored under the profile.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.0\ACAD-xxxxxx\Profiles\<<Name of Profile>>\Dialogs

When you are ready to get serious about machine configuration, forget the ARG import /export nonsense and set your desired settings during AutoCAD startup, via the "acad.lsp", "acaddoc.lsp" and/or the "acad.rx" files.
    how do you apply that to a network deployment image?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by johnh.101098
    how do you apply that to a network deployment image?
    Apply profile settings?

I don't mess with the network deployment, I leave it as it OOTB.

I simply create an "acad.lsp" that is copied locally after the install is finished, which in turn loads the real "acad.lsp" on the network, which does all the work (sets paths, sysvars, etc.)

Lisp code and drawing specific sysvars, etc are loaded by network "acaddoc.lsp".

HTH
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |