See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Unable to change existing Custom Hatch Patterns within DWG file

Login to Give a bone

Default Unable to change existing Custom Hatch Patterns within DWG file

I wrote some hatch patterns for a client for hazardous classifications. They worked perfectly initially. Now I can see the hatch patterns when I call bhatch. If I go back into the test drawing I used initially I can add the new hatch patterns but I can't change existing hatching. I can change any new hatching to any of the available patterns.

I've done a FindFile for acad.pat and it finds it in the same location for each drawing so it's using the same pattern.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Many thanks

Robert Aitken

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Unable to change existing Custom Hatch Patterns within DWG file

Hi

How are you attempting to update the existing Custom Hatch Pattern Objects in your drawing file, with the new Custom Hatch Pattern(s) definitions ?

Is it possible to post a sample drawing file that exhibits the behaviour you have described above, plus the new Custom Hatch Pattern(s) definitions...

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unable to change existing Custom Hatch Patterns within DWG file

Thanks Mike,

I've attached the acad.pat file I amended (now acadpat.txt) and the initial drawing I used the patterns on.

I can't use the pattern on any other drawing.

Thanks again.

Robert

PS Usual copyright stuff applies. Company confidential etc etc
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Unable to change existing Custom Hatch Patterns within DWG file

Quote Originally Posted by RobertAitken
    I've attached the acad.pat file I amended (now acadpat.txt) and the initial drawing I used the patterns on.

<SNIP>
    Hi

Without looking at the drawing file, could the following be the problem ( or have I misunderstood - most likely )...

In your above post, you attached "acadpat.txt". I therefore renamed it to AcadPat.pat OR have I renamed the file incorrectly ? Should I simply rename "acadpat.txt" to Acad.pat ?

If you are using AcadPat.pat as you Hatch Patter file, that is the cause of the problem.

As far as I know, AutoCAD can use...

* Acad.pat
    * AcadIso.pat
    * Custom.pat ( One Hatch Pattern definition per file - File name must match the "Pattern-Name" as defined in the file header ).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Without looking at the drawing file, could the following be the problem ( or have I misunderstood - most likely )...

In your above post, you attached "acadpat.txt". I therefore renamed it to AcadPat.pat OR have I renamed the file incorrectly ? Should I simply rename "acadpat.txt" to Acad.pat ?
    Mike

It blocks you from uploading a pat file so I renamed the acad.pat file to acadpat.txt. Just rename it to acad.pat and it'll be OK ish.

Thanks again

Robert

Login to Give a bone

It blocks you from uploading a pat file so I renamed the acad.pat file to acadpat.txt. Just rename it to acad.pat and it'll be OK ish.
    Hi

Ok! I renamed to Acad.pat ( was just checking, as most people here on the forums only change the file type extension for uploading purposes ie Acad.txt = Acad.pat / Acadpat.txt = Acadpat.pat ).

i then carried out the following...

* Opened drawing "TEMP-22392_09.dwg" ( Hmmm, I might have to borrow parts of this drawing file for my own use ).

* Opened Acad.pat ( your version ) in a Plain Text editor.

* Amended Hatch Pattern definition "ZONE1DGV" ( for the sake of science ).

* Saved Acad.pat

* Double-Clicked ( or run the _.HatchEdit command ) on a Hatch Pattern Object that uses Hatch Pattern definition "ZONE1DGV", Hatch Edit dialog box opens.

* Click "OK" button to exit dialog box.

* Selected Hatch Pattern Object updated correctly ie Reflected the changes I made in Acad.pat earlier ( for the sake of science ).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Mike,

Found out what was causing the problem. I'd amended acad.pat and now the system is using acadiso.pat.

Thanks for all your help Mike.

You're a god but you know that anyway.

Hope you and Mel have a good time when she's over. As if you both won't

Robert

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Unable to change existing Custom Hatch Patterns within DWG file

<SNIP>

Found out what was causing the problem. I'd amended acad.pat and now the system is using acadiso.pat.

<SNIP>
    Hi Robert

Excellent! so it was the old system variable Measurement trick pulling at your leg... thanks for posting back the solution, I am sure others will benefit from such information in the future.

No worries...

Nope! just a regular CAD user here...

Thank you, we definitely intend to

Mike

Login to Give a bone

I'd just like to add the following from ACAD Help, after much confusion myself:

"....MEASUREINIT controls which hatch pattern and linetype files are used. The Drawing1.dwg that opens when you start the program is a drawing that is started from scratch.

Imperial; uses the hatch pattern file and linetype file designated by the ANSIHatch and ANSILinetype registry settings

Metric; uses the hatch pattern file and linetype file designated by the ISOHatch and ISOLinetype registry settings"

I had a problem with autocad hanging after attempting to select a different hatch pattern in the bhatch dialog. I finally found the error in the acadiso.pat file. My user defined custom patterns were altered during migration from a previous release. An unidentifed symbol was inserted in place of an "enter" stroke, so the file could not be read. I did not realise that acadiso.pat was being used however and was unaware how to switch between the two. Caused days of confusion and frustration.

I hope this helps someone else.