Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does 'Custom' mean in the Lookup tables?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default What does 'Custom' mean in the Lookup tables?

What does 'Custom' mean in the Lookup tables? Why does it show up sometimes in my pull-downs for my lookups but not always?

I attached a threshold block as an example.
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What does 'Custom' mean in the Lookup tables?

I get the same error on some of my dynamic blocks. I don't know why. Mine only does it when I pick the last item so I just renamed "Custom" to something close to the last item. It is not a fix, kind of like a patch.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jluker
    I get the same error on some of my dynamic blocks. I don't know why. Mine only does it when I pick the last item so I just renamed "Custom" to something close to the last item. It is not a fix, kind of like a patch.
    Custom means that the size that it curently IS is not matching what is listed on your lookup parameters. I think it only displays in relation to lookups.

So what that means is that you draw a line at 11" (default vis state) and you have a lookup table that shows 10" 12" 14" etc. 11 is what has been drawn but not referenced on the lookup. TO my knowledge, anyway, this is what it is.

And in actuality, it is also available INSIDE the block editor when you open the lookup table. To my knowledge, it's supposed to be there. I think it's just there to let you know that the lookup properties that you are specifying are custom. You can rename it, but it does nothing to the block itself. Not that I have found, anyway. however, I'd leave it reading "Custom" if it's inside the block editor. You never know what might be connected to that value and what might fail if you change it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

I could stop if I wanted to H.Hunter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Go look in this thread. Max's explanation is better than mine would be, but to add: Custom also enables the "Reverse Lookup" that needs to be used when using Visiblity Parameters inside a Lookup (or at least so it seems ot be so far....).

Login to Give a bone

I wish I could take the credit for this answer, but I can't ....

Ok, I've seen this a couple times now. Its pretty common. There is two parts to your Custom problem. The first is the accuracy. In some spots you call your lookup table to look for a parameter size that is 2 units long and 2.5 units long. The problem is your actual red line drawn in the block is like 1.984632 and 2.438585 in size. So when you change parameters it cant recognize the 2.000000000 exact size. So the way I debug the custom problem is switch to the highest decimal precision. Then check all the line work and parameter size lengths. Make sure everything is exactly precise to the lookup table.

So this is similar to what I was talking about before. Gotta make sure your sizes listed ion the lookup table match exactly with what has been drawn.

The second problem was I think there was no stretch parameter associated with your linear parameter threshold type parameter. So when you changed size via the lookup table there was no action to drive the parameter.

So the new insight is that you gotta make sure all your parameters and actions are inserted properly and work the way they are supposed to. Troubleshooting your DBs should be an integral part of the creation process. I think this is just good practise - not anything really groundbreaking.

Overall, it appears that before you move onto the next part of the DB, you gotta make sure that the part you are working on now is good to go. Just like a chalupa.

Thanks to Mark Douglas for his insight.

And oh, look! Your block is fixed too!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    ...In some spots you call your lookup table to look for a parameter size that is 2 units long and 2.5 units long. The problem is your actual red line drawn in the block is like 1.984632 and 2.438585 in size. So when you change parameters it cant recognize the 2.000000000 exact size....
    So, it would seem that, once again, the message is "draw accurately to start with". Good.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thank You very much Ricco, even if you don't want the credit. I will have to research why the drawing was not properly drawn correctly. I am a stickler for that.

Thanks again,

Login to Give a bone

Geez, sometimes the answer (the REAL answer) is so obvious we don't see it. We're often looking for some deep meaning when in actuality it's right there ....

I'm currently doing up a block with a couple of lookup tables. I've been having some minor problems with a flip parameter .... in any case, I was looking into the lookups to see what there was and I saw this (see attached pic) ....

The answer as to what "Custom" means in Lookup Tables is .....

That when something the "Input Properties" column does not match what is in lookup Properties (whether because of inaccurate drawing or because of inaccurate input - i.e.: because you type the text in as opposed to using the drop down box) the result is "Custom"

When you see "Custom", it does not mean that there is anything wrong. It simply means:

1. Check to make sure sizes are correct
    2. Check Lookup to make sure that sizes in "Input Properties" matches what has been drawn
    3. Make sure that your "Lookup Properties" has something typed in it to match the "Input Properties"

So what I posted before is crrect as well, but this is the simple answer. When you see "Custom" - this is why - and because this is why, go do the other stuff above. (Confusing enough?)

That's what I think anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

I could stop if I wanted to H.Hunter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

That sounds 100% right to me. Or at least it makes the most sense...

Login to Give a bone

Bumping this becuase this a valuable reminder when dealing with lookups

Is there a FAQ for Lookups? This is a good candidate to be place there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast