Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Xref ?

Login to Give a bone

Default Multiple Xref ?

My question is can you have Multiple Xref with C3D like you did with LDD...

what i mean is since LDD held it's profile data in a different file you could draw all the profiles in it's own DWG and Xref just that into your plan and profile sets keeping your base drawing somewhat clean. Can this be done in the same manner or not. I hope you understand what I would like to do.

thanks

Gary

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiple Xref ?

In C3D you can have as many xrefs attached in a drawing as you need.

Login to Give a bone

Glenndp
    thats not what i mean, in LDD can't you not drawing the profiles in a new drawing thats not part of the drawing that contains your alignments...then you would have a drawing that only contains your site work and another one with only your profiles, then Xref both into your plans and profiles sheets...
    where in C3D as far as I know you can't draw just the profiles in its own drawing file...
    example below.

job00-Prfl.dwg (just Profiles)
    job00-Site.dwg (just site work, alignments)
    xref both of these into just your Plans and Profiles

Thanks
    Gary

Login to Give a bone

Ok new I see what your wanting.

I haven't really massed with profiles yet in C3D. There are Profile Data Shortcuts that might work to do what you want. Not sure though.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your reply!

well if you come across any one else that may know of a trick to this, please email me at ghoffman@bankseng.com

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hello ghoffman,
    It seems you might be able to do what you are asking, but using a different methodology. I have attached a couple PDFs to help you (Hopefully!) If you need the Getting Started Guide, send me a PM and I can try to get it to you. It is 3 Mg so I can't upload it here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks MH, I'm going to read over both of those PDF's and i have the Cadapult Civil 3D 2006 and OTC C3D 2005 essentials books but they are just basic guilds. If you want you can E-Mail me at Ghoffman@bankseng.com or
    Ghoffman@swfla.rr.com. not sure on how to MP you here, I,am new to the forums....

once again thanks for your reply!
    Gary

Login to Give a bone

Quincon,
    I have been looking into this a lot lately as I am trying to decide whether my office can go the 3d route yet. From what I understand you will want your finish grade surface, profiles, cross sections, pipes, and alignments all in the same file. This is because of the new data base format. The good news is that when one item is updated all items are updated. The bad news is that you can not have one person working on utilities while another works on storm drains or turn lane cross sections coming into the site. If I have mis spoke someone please correct me, but I think I am heading in the correct direction. Have a great day, Rich

Login to Give a bone

Richard if you didn't go ahead and download the Civil 3D Getting Started.PDF about 3 posts up... now i haven't used C3D-2007as of yet, still using 2005 ver..
    but what I've read so far it looks as if C3D now has a data management server called "VAULT", and you can have your data broken up by alignments, profiles and surfaces etc etc...now if it works the way I'm thinking it should be team friendly meaning one person can work on the surface and another working in profiles then with the flick of a switch you can Xref all into a master base or what not.

hope this helps some
    Gary Hoffman
    Banks engineering, Inc.

Login to Give a bone

Gary,
    With C3D, you kinda have to forget about the word xref. Basically one user will "check out" items from the data base using vault. From what I have understood, vault does not dynamically link the itmes together as nicely as we all would like. Please remember this is hear say. I am currently waiting for the first patch for acad 2007 (which I always do ) then i will deploy and start using 2007. Be forwarned 2007 does not play well w/ 2005 and below. I liked how I could work in 2006 and yet the rest of my office was in 2004 and could see my drawings. This is a great tool for a cad manager and I wish they continue this. Then I can see any potential problems before I deploy to the rest of the office. Anyway, after i deploy 2007 I will take a small project and see how it works w/ c3d. Good luck to you and your 3d adventures. Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast