See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: New Laptop for running AutoCAD 2007 and AutoCAD LT 2007

Login to Give a bone

Default New Laptop for running AutoCAD 2007 and AutoCAD LT 2007

Well gang, it's time for a new laptop and regardless of how hard I try to stay up on all the latest tech specs, I think I could use some input.

I have ( ~ I think ~ ) narrowed the field down to the Dell Precision M90 and the HP NW9440. Both are configured strong right out of the box, but I have spec'ed 2 gig RAM and the Intel Duo 2 GHz chip as my base line. Operating budget is approx $3k to $5 without add-on software.

I like the idea of only running AutoCad LT 2007, just to keep things really fast during meeting and presentations, but I know sometime in the next 2 years I will kick myself for not just installing the full version of AutoCad 2007. So I am kinda leaning that way even tho I most likely won't be doing any real taxing 3d work while I'm mobile.

Anybody with suggestions, please throw them out, I could use all help I can get. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Laptop for running AutoCAD 2007 and AutoCAD LT 2007

Quote Originally Posted by greg.58437
    I like the idea of only running AutoCad LT 2007, just to keep things really fast during meeting and presentations, but I know sometime in the next 2 years I will kick myself for not just installing the full version of AutoCad 2007. So I am kinda leaning that way even tho I most likely won't be doing any real taxing 3d work while I'm mobile.
    If you want something light and fast for meetings and presentations, check out DWG TrueView. If all your doing is zooming and panning this would be perfect. Then you can still have the full version of 2007 when you have to do some work.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Laptop for running AutoCAD 2007 and AutoCAD LT 2007

I wish I could get away with pan and zoom meetings. I get the clients that want to revise every window on the first, third and ninth floors by making them 12" wider and "...ohhh just arch the tops to would you - that would be so cute...."

Unfortunately I will need a little more muscle on the laptop, but I like TrueView and have been using .dwf for a few years now and absolutely love it.

Thanks Glenn. And to everyone else, comments are always appreciated ! Thanks again.