Thread: Revit 'CAD' Standards????

Login to Give a bone

Question Revit 'CAD' Standards????

Has anyone come up with a set of naming conventions or standards for naming object styles?

This issue comes up both at the project level and at the component level. In the project your detail and model lines need to be categorized and in the components, although once you categories your component properly the object styles are placed in the correct category but the larger the project gets and the more users on the project the more potential for names to get out of control.

For example: if I were to create a specialty equipment component: FUME HOOD. Should I name the name the object style for the plan lines FUME HOOD PLAN or useto the CAD Standard and name it A-EQPM.

The View Template feature also comes into play here because if there were a set of standards, implementing view templates would be easier. I say easier because if there is no convention and new object styles get added after a view template is applied you either have to fix the object styles one by one or keep making new templates.

So does anyone have a convention or suggestion?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 'CAD' Standards????

Quote Originally Posted by jcdecastro
    Has anyone come up with a set of naming conventions or standards for naming object styles?

This issue comes up both at the project level and at the component level. In the project your detail and model lines need to be categorized and in the components, although once you categories your component properly the object styles are placed in the correct category but the larger the project gets and the more users on the project the more potential for names to get out of control.

For example: if I were to create a specialty equipment component: FUME HOOD. Should I name the name the object style for the plan lines FUME HOOD PLAN or useto the CAD Standard and name it A-EQPM.

The View Template feature also comes into play here because if there were a set of standards, implementing view templates would be easier. I say easier because if there is no convention and new object styles get added after a view template is applied you either have to fix the object styles one by one or keep making new templates.

So does anyone have a convention or suggestion?
    I prefer plain english. I'm not sure doing a A-EQPM offers any advantage. However, if I see fume hood - I know what it is right away. With that said, I try not to add too many extra subcategories in. The fewer the better. So in the example of the fume hood, I leave it as a mechanical object. Then I might have Hidden, Overhead, Detail as subcategories...

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Revit 'CAD' Standards????

I found some articles on the subject.

http://www.occsnet.org/
    http://www.aecbytes.com/buildingthef...standards.html
    http://www.nibs.org/newsstory1.html

Hopefully by the end of the year there should be a standard of some sort instead of making up object styles on the fly and confusing other users/team members, etc.