Thread: Revit for Interior Designers?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Revit for Interior Designers?

Hello,
    I seldom posts, but do lurk somewhat.
    I did a search for "interior design" but didn't really find what I was looking for, little of it but not a lot, so if people feel like this topic has been beaten to death previously, I do apologize- if you could point me to a thread I would be glad to look at it.
    Question is basically this:
    Would an interior design firm using 2d cad on simple, small office lease things (3,000-10,000sf- simple business type offices) benefit by going Revit. Generally projects last about 3 weeks, total, out the door, with few revisions, few sheets. We slap out a plan, throw up some interior elevations, do some mill-work and cash a check. Its not "high Design" but a quick and "dirty" living. Sometimes we get a cad plan to start with, and we just run from there, flip some lines to a demo layer, slip some notes on the sheet, tag the doors directly to a door type view, no door schedule, and run it. Maybe 3-5 "design" jobs- bank, restaurant or store, and I can see the benefit on these jobs, but for a leasing company looking to expand their area on an existing floor plate by 25%, we might have 40 hours budgeted for the whole entire job, would Revit be more trouble than it worth in this "bread and butter" case?
    Seems like it wouldn't be, I mean 6 month out we could reasonably see a return to cad levels, great, then let's say year later two of my Revit gurus jump ship, then I have to start the 6 month process all over?
    If anybody knows a previous thread I can look up, please let me know, but I think I may be in a unique position here where Revit would be foolish.
    I want to thank you for your time up front, and I would appreciate any input.
    Last edited by terrysouthern; 2006-06-01 at 11:01 PM.