See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Question about arrays, groups and window muntins

Login to Give a bone

Default Question about arrays, groups and window muntins

I'm sure someone covered this already. I just can't find the answer. Lots of almost answers though.

Here's the deal:

I'm trying to create a window family where the height and width flex and the number of muntins is adjustable. When I created the solid geometry for a muntin I locked it to the window sash edges. The problem is that when I go to create the array Revit 9 says that one or more of the objects (in this case, the muntins) are constrained by other objects that are not in the group and that the constraints will be removed.

The result is that the muntin heights/widths do not flex with the window height/width.

Can anyone please help me?
    Last edited by zaklee; 2006-06-05 at 10:13 PM. Reason: poor grammer and spelling

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Question about arrays, groups and window muntins

The muntins should be created as nested families.

Generally anything that is to be arrayed should be created by nesting families.

HTH.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

I could stop if I wanted to Matt Brennan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spot
    The muntins should be created as nested families.

Generally anything that is to be arrayed should be created by nesting families.

HTH.
    This family may help you. It was found off the Autodesk website. Any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Mr. Spot and Independentdrafting;

Thanks for your replies. I've been playing (fighting) with this some more and I've learned a lot already. I'm definitely beginning to uderstand how much I don't understand complex (and I doubt that anyone will agree that this problem is complex) family editing!

In any case, use of nested families IS begining to make sense. Though, I don't really understand why they're necessary in this simple case.

I find that the biggest challenge in learing Revit is finding someone to teach you how to do the do the things that are absolutely fundamental to using it effectively. And it's interesting to me that Autodesk isn't the leader in teaching us to use their product. Fortunately for me, there are people like you.

Thanks for taking the time.

Zak Klee

I could stop if I wanted to Matt Brennan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

No worries Zak. That is why Augi is such a great place for the right answers. In terms of training, there are so many different ways of learning the program.

If you are a person who can catch on pretty quickly, then maybe pick up a couple of Revit books from amazon.com, that’s what I did 2 and half years ago. Otherwise what about your local reseller(s)? Do they schedule Revit training courses through out the months? This is something you may want to look into. As for Autodesk, they can be fairly pricy for what I have heard in the past. Either route that you take Zak, you will pick it up as you go. In the end, there is always Augi!

Good luck,

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by zaklee

In any case, use of nested families IS begining to make sense. Though, I don't really understand why they're necessary in this simple case.
    3D arrays in Revit are notoriously fussy. There are dozens of ways to make mistakes. The technique of nesting families and then arraying them is a good one as it limits the number of ways you can screw up. The only down side of using nested muntin families in an array is that nested families can't join geometry with other nested families or even the host family. Hence you will have intersecting lines at each of your muntin joints. There is another slightly more complex way to make a muntin array in which the muntins will clean up.

If you make your initial muntin (before arraying it) out of a sweep with a loaded profile you will gain a lot of the benefits of a nested family without the join geometry limitation. Once again the key is to avoid using the "sketch profile" button and instead use the "load profile" button. The other vital piece of information is to have a length parameter dimension buried inside of the sweep path sketch. This way when you array the muntin, the dimension gets arrayed as well.

Good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scott Hopkins; 2006-06-06 at 07:40 AM.