Thread: Tables don't change when TableStyle edited

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Tables don't change when TableStyle edited

I have a table that is attached that is driving me even more crazy than normal. The table is only 100k in size but takes almost 10 seconds to save. The table and everything has been set to Arial font and it shows such but when you plot it is romans. When you look at a single cell it shows override codes and says romans. I read in the 2005 manual that you can right click menu and select "remove all properties overrides" but this does not remove the font overrides. The drawing has 3 different text styles but they cannot be deleted. I used the FILTER and searched for any text at all and found no empty text strings that would have prevented deleting the unwanted styles. When I check all of the text in the table it said the style was TABLES but Romans is what is displayed. My question is how do you get the table to be what it should be and shows correctly. How do you get rid of the textstyle overrides easily. As a wild idea I did a DXFOUT of the drawing, did a search and replace of romans with arial and then did a DXFIN to a new drawing. Amazingly everything came in with the arial font as I wanted but doing this should not be required. (Since typing the above I played with the drawing some more and I did delete one of the text styles but the other I can't and it did reduce the save time of the file but it is still way long for what is there.) Thanks for any and all help, Jack Foster.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tables don't change when TableStyle edited

Quote Originally Posted by jack.foster
    I have a table that is attached that is driving me even more crazy than normal. The table is only 100k in size but takes almost 10 seconds to save. The table and everything has been set to Arial font and it shows such but when you plot it is romans. When you look at a single cell it shows override codes and says romans.
    Look at the contents of a cell: {\fRomanS|b1|i0|c0|p0;\H1.111x;Wellhead Containment Shelter}

The ROMANS font is 'hard-coded' to the cell. How was this data entered into the table?

The drawing has 3 different text styles but they cannot be deleted. I used the FILTER and searched for any text at all and found no empty text strings that would have prevented deleting the unwanted styles. When I check all of the text in the table it said the style was TABLES but Romans is what is displayed.
    Referenced objects can not be purged.
    ROMANS can not be purged, it is being used in the table as shown above.
    TABLES can not be purged, it is being referenced by the current table style. (Equipment List)
    AES-DIMS can not be purged, it is being referenced by the current dimstyle (AES-STD)

My question is how do you get the table to be what it should be and shows correctly. How do you get rid of the textstyle overrides easily. As a wild idea I did a DXFOUT of the drawing, did a search and replace of romans with arial and then did a DXFIN to a new drawing. Amazingly everything came in with the arial font as I wanted but doing this should not be required. (Since typing the above I played with the drawing some more and I did delete one of the text styles but the other I can't and it did reduce the save time of the file but it is still way long for what is there.) Thanks for any and all help, Jack Foster.
    You could edit each cell, and while in edit mode, click Ctrl+A (to select all), then Ctrl+Space (to remove formatting).
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am guessing that the font got hard coded by someone (probably me) doing a copy and paste from another document or table. I do know it is a giant pain that you can't just strip all this out and have the basic font & style associated with the table. My "blue light special" cure of DXFOUT, find and replace and DXFIN got me a table that looks consistent but you shouldn't have to do something like this. Somebody probably figures that this is a great addition to tables and it may be for some instances but you need to be able to blow it away and just have the text characters only in the style that the table was set up for. Thanks for the reply. Jack

Login to Give a bone

I am guessing that the font got hard coded by someone (probably me) doing a copy and paste
    That will do it.

One workaround: Paste into Notepad first, then copy from there before pasting into the Table. This will ensure that plain ASCII text is in the clipboard.

Another one: Export your Table to a CSV file, then reimport as a Table. Probably a little quicker than the DXF route.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

RK, thanks again for your suggestions. I had thought about the CSV and excel situation but I had a problem with a couple of tables coming in from excel that also did some goofy things with text. The next time this happens, and it will, I will definitely give the CSV excel a shot. Take care, Jack.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Tables don't change when TableStyle edited

Jack,
    We had a workstation that was having network problems. The new operating system (XP Pro) created this same problem for us.

AutoCAD 2005 and Excel 2000 worked just fine. We could copy a range of cells in Excel (including cells with formulas) and do a paste-special in AutoCAD 2005 with the result being an AutoCAD table.

AutoCAD 2005 and Excel 2003 didn't produce the same result. The pasted text from cells that included a formula did not follow the Table Style properties. The hard coded font junk described by another poster prevents changing the text properties in the cell(s).

Note: This unwanted behavior ONLY affected cells that included a formula or were referenced in a formula by another cell.

Our work-around is to copy the cell range in Excel, paste-special in Excel as 'values only', then copy that cell range and paste IT into AutoCAD 2005. What a pain!

Needless to say, we're not happy with our Operating System 'upgrade'.

David