Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom of footing elevation

Login to Give a bone

Default Bottom of footing elevation

Hi all,
    OK I am trying to tag footings with bottom of footing elevations. In discussions with the Revit developers a few months ago I found out that the tag "Structural Foundation Tag with Elevation.rfa" is for reading the (sometimes bogus) "elevation at bottom" parameter. And if you look at the file the label is set that way.
    But how do you use it? If I try "Tag" is just gives me the size of the footing. If I try the spot elevation it consistently gives me the top of footing elevation.
    I'd really like to get this to work since many of my engineers like to specify bottom of footing elevations.

Thanks and have a great day...

Tom Weir
    Los Angeles

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bottom of footing elevation

Tom,

I just tried it and it seems to work fine. I got the footing size and then EL.-1'-6". Are you sure you're using the right tag?

Login to Give a bone

The tag fooled me. I did not realize that the size of the footing was included. So I adapted it to our normal annotation: BOF=.

We would never show the size of the footing on a plan notation, but instead the schedule mark for the footing.

I am wondering if that is how others would be doing this? I know that the Revit developers are trying to find a way to organize and present spot elevations that makes more sense.

Do you present your footing tags like I am indicating? Or how then?

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Weir; 2006-06-08 at 03:02 PM.

Login to Give a bone

At both companies I worked for, the footing would be called out using a schedule symbol where the symbol itself would describe the footing size (F8 symbol indicating 8x8 footing, F6 for 6x6, etc). The schedule would be used to further describe thickness and reinforcement. It makes it a bit easier for the crew doing the formwork.

The only time I've seen the footing size described in plan is for special conditions where the footing is not rectangular or when one footing is dimensioned and all others are "typical".

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Tom, we would similarly tag the footing with a mark number, F1, F2, F3 etc...and describe size, thickness, and reinforcing in a footing schedule.

We would seldom, if ever, call out the bottom of footing elevation, prefering instead to specify the top of footing elevation. Typically, this would be 12" below the slab on grade...making it easy to cover with a note for the entire drawing.

For footings directly supporting steel columns (no pedestals), there's a direct relationship between the top of the footing and the underside of the base plate...helpful when you're trying to interface with different trades and detailing processes.

My 2c

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Tom,

We too would like to have the B/Ftg readily available (and T/Ftg for that matter).

Our standard for footings is F40 (Pad Footing 4'-0" sq), F46 (Pad Footing 4'-6" sq), F40N (Pad Footing 4'-0" sq non-reinforced), W20 (Wall Footing 2'-0" wide), F1 would be our 1st rectangular footing, F2 the 2nd, RW1 the 1st Retaining Wall footing, etc.

Let us know if you find anything out about this,

Login to Give a bone

Hi,
    We seem to have two currents of thought at my company. Like Jos some people always specify the top of footing because it helps establish the steel column lengths.

The others though like to specify the bottom of footing elevation in order to help the contractor with excavation information. They also feel that the bottom of footing provides more information of the foundation condition, i.e. where stepping might be required.

I can see that both have advantages and disadvantages.

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Hi Tom,

I always specified "Top of Footing", for the same reasons that Jos pointed out (less room for error).

Login to Give a bone

Scott,
    But for type 5 construction (Wood) where columns are a minor factor, the top of footing rule you use would not seem as useful. That's the group in my office that mostly does bottom of footings. Actually I never put that together before...hhmm. This may be starting to make sense.

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Has Anyone come up with a Top of Footing El. Tag???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast