Thread: Nested Door Panel in Curtain Wall Door Family

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Nested Door Panel in Curtain Wall Door Family

I'm trying to nest the door panel I used in my standard doors into a curtain wall door family and link the parameters so that as the panel gets bigger the door panel responds... and I'd like to be able to modify the swing in 3D (nothing new here in regards to doors).

So far I'm not making much progress.

It seems that I'm not able to place a parameter to control the width of the panel, for example (which does make a certain amount of sense). When I place the parameter and try and flex the family I get an error. And if I can't get this parameter to work then I can't link the nested family's parameter to it...

The only solution I have is to recreate all of the geometry I want native to the file and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

Any ideas?

[edit] And even if I do make the doors directly in the family how do I get them to schedule as a pair of doors instead of as one big wide one? My typical double doors schedule as a pair of 3'-0" instead of as a single 6'-0".
    Last edited by greg.mcdowell; 2006-06-08 at 04:55 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nested Door Panel in Curtain Wall Door Family

It won't happen. You will have to manually change it. This is simply because a curtain wall door doesn't have any dimensions in it. The only way you'll get it to work is if you create the panel inside the curtain wall door family.

Login to Give a bone

If you set your curtain wall panel size to the width / height required for your door , you can place a solid wall segment in lieu of the CW panel and then place your door in that panel.
    Last edited by beegee; 2006-06-09 at 07:10 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Here's what I ended up doing...

I took my typical Door Panel family and recategorized it as a Generic Model and then made the Width and Height parameters Instances. I loaded it into a Door-Curtain Wall family and align-locked the edges to the Reference Planes. I did the same thing for the 2D Swing family in plan and added and linked the necessary parameters. Works fine!

As to the scheduling issue with double doors I decided to add a Type Comment noting that the door panel was half of the listed width and added this to my schedule. Not ideal but "technically" okay...
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by beegee View Post
    If you set your curtain wall panel size to the width / height required for your door , you can place a solid wall segment in lieu of the CW panel and then place your door in that panel.
    Great tip.(makes me happy as a cloud) Still might have to create a door family that has the correct frame or lack thereof to look proper in a storefront or curtain wall system, but it is an nice way to use door families that you've already created and not have to mess with the separate curtain door families.