Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do others use Layout Tabs

Login to Give a bone

Question How do others use Layout Tabs

I was just curious as to how others are
    utilizing layout tabs. Are you using them
    for multiple options or alternatives or
    if some use them to create multiple sheets
    in the same file, or not using them at all.
    Just for general discussion.

Thanks
    Mike

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: How do others use Layout Tabs

I use them for alternate layouts of the same plan, but, I don't do multiple sheets in one file once past that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilson
    I was just curious as to how others are
    utilizing layout tabs. Are you using them
    for multiple options or alternatives or
    if some use them to create multiple sheets
    in the same file, or not using them at all.
    Just for general discussion.

Thanks
    Mike
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do others use Layout Tabs

We are a "civil" firm and we have seperate drawings for such things as site, grading, drainage, utilities, etc. We have one drawing called layouts. This drawing has all of the "base" drawings xref'ed in and we use the layouts to plot each sheet as well as have the project details on seperate layout tabs. This is in 2004.

We will do basically the same thing when we upgrade to 2007, however each base drawing will have its own set of layout tabs and we will utilize sheet set manager to plot. hopes this helps, Rich

I could stop if I wanted to H.Hunter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

90% of the time we do not utilize multiple layouts. The times we do:

-For construction phase modifications, copy original layout and modify the copy

-Multiple alternatives for figures that use the same model space geometry

-I've personally started using them for multiple-cut site plans. Our last project had 5 site plans and as an electrical designer, configuring the linetypes and colors 5 times is too much work. It's so much easier when they're in the same file and I only have to do it once.

The down side to having multiple sheets in one file is that during crunch time, only one person can work on that file. So if you have 5 sheets and 5 people trying to update them...well you get the idea.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

I work for a Theatrical and Architectural Lighting Company and we take advantage of multiple layouts because it is not that crucial that we separate the data...Truthfully the more data we can add on one drawing, the better...If we have a drawing of a custom product, we create the 3d version in Model Space, the first layout is just the generic overview with BOM, the second is usually the external wiring (Power and Control Cable) (if necessary), the third layout is usually the metal detail (may be 2 or more depending on the necessity), and the last is usually the silk screen if there are any words that need to be on the product...We take the product and piece it out so that it can be built easier...

Most everyone that would use multiple tabs are instructed not to...Please forgive my ignorance, but I do not see the harm...Can someone educate me real quick on why not to make multiple layout in the same drawing??? Is it because of "tradition" (pre-2000)??? Thanks and I hope this info helps...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    Most everyone that would use multiple tabs are instructed not to...Please forgive my ignorance, but I do not see the harm...Can someone educate me real quick on why not to make multiple layout in the same drawing??? Is it because of "tradition" (pre-2000)??? Thanks and I hope this info helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by H.Hunter
    The down side to having multiple sheets in one file is that during crunch time, only one person can work on that file. So if you have 5 sheets and 5 people trying to update them...well you get the idea.
    It all depends how big your force is. For a small company, it probably is very ideal. For a larger company with multiplt offices and several people working on discipline in a set of dwgs (there are 3 elec drafters that work with me), it can become chaos when things are tied together.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by H.Hunter
    it can become chaos when things are tied together.
    Now I see the real need for X-Refs...Each of the disciplines (in your situation) can work on their portion independently while the main drawing is being updated...It is definitely logical...Thank you for the education...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    Now I see the real need for X-Refs...Each of the disciplines (in your situation) can work on their portion independently while the main drawing is being updated...It is definitely logical...Thank you for the education...
    Always happy to help. But I can say I would probably have the same mindset if I didn't have to deal with the complication I do here.

That's the only downside to sheet sets...they won't bring in overlays on a drag-n-drop view...

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Layouts are good to use for process drawings.

For example:
    I have files that contain, blanking, shearing, welding, and forming drawings.

I use the layouts to create each page of the drawing set.

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Think there are pros and cons for both ideas. We tend to use single sheet where I am at present, but I have used mulitible sheets before in other places. The only problem I see with mulitible sheets is that you need a bit more disipline to manage them. Its good if you can impliment it, but I've found that most of the draffties in the business tend not to want to change. I mean some of them still have problems with the concept of exrefs and model space paper space so putting that on them would be a nightmare.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast