Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Try to Open a drawing file - Can't find specified drawing file...

Login to Give a bone

Red face Try to Open a drawing file - Can't find specified drawing file...

I received a cad drawing from a client via email and when i tried to open it in autocad, a prompt said " can't find specified drawing file. Pls verify that the network is available and the file exists"

what does this mean?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Try to Open a drawing file - Can't find specified drawing file...

Hi jlizann,When you received the file did you try to open it from the email by double-clicking it, or did you "save as" from the email to your local harddrive or network drive?

I could stop if I wanted to lmitsou's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi,

As Tim said, did you saveas or did you open the drawing directly from the email? If you have opened it directly, the file you opened is saved in the temp folder. If you empty this folder, as you can imagine, you won't find the drawing you previously opened there. And if you try to open it with AutoCAD it will give you this message.

There are other options of course, like for example, if you try to open a drawing directly from an email which has xrefs. We have recently experienced this problem with a user here. He had the same error message. He tried to open a drawing directly from an email and that drawing had xrefs. So it wouldn't open and "cant find specified drawing file" message appeared.

Also if your temp folder is in a network drive and you work offline, you will get this message.

Login to Give a bone

Its a zipped folder and i saved this zipped folder first in my own disk. Then I opened its contents directly from autocad program.

Login to Give a bone

Try extracting the file (with WinZip or similar if you're not using WinXP) to a known location and open it from there. What happens?

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    Try extracting the file (with WinZip or similar if you're not using WinXP) to a known location and open it from there. What happens?
    Think that should sort it but I've always been able to open direct from a zip file? i Don't know if this is strange, anyone else have the same thing happen?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Beldin
    Think that should sort it but I've always been able to open direct from a zip file? i Don't know if this is strange, anyone else have the same thing happen?
    I don't think you could do that before WinXP.

Not sure though.

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    I don't think you could do that before WinXP.

Not sure though.
    think you maybe right though I'm not going to sware on it incase there is (and I know there are) people out there who know better lol

Login to Give a bone

I'm using winXp so , extracting shouldn't be a factor....The thing is in every zipped folder there are 2 to 3 dwg files and i can open all of them////.

Login to Give a bone

I mean I CAN'T open all of them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast