Thread: AutoCAD Map 2000 message - Object not initialized

Login to Give a bone

Question AutoCAD Map 2000 message - Object not initialized

Very recently AutoCAD Map 2000 has begun to greet a CAD-user here with the following mysterious error:

"Object not initialized"

I've no idea what has spurred the error message, but the results are that the copy and paste function has been disabled (currently getting around this by Xref and binding).

We recently had to back-save the drawing in question to R12 to remove some pesky proxy objects, and the error message has been haunting us since.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: AutoCAD Map 2000 message - Object not initialized

just one drawing? could you post it?
    Quote Originally Posted by m.storey
    Very recently AutoCAD Map 2000 has begun to greet a CAD-user here with the following mysterious error:

"Object not initialized"

I've no idea what has spurred the error message, but the results are that the copy and paste function has been disabled (currently getting around this by Xref and binding).

We recently had to back-save the drawing in question to R12 to remove some pesky proxy objects, and the error message has been haunting us since.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD Map 2000 message - Object not initialized

I have had this happen to me also. It was when I was first began using AutoCAD 2007 with solid objects. I am not sure what the root cause of it was. Myself I believe that it was an object within the drawing that became "damaged" when saving between filetypes. The only way I know to fix the issue is to find the "bad" object within your drawing and delete it out. I did this by deleting an object at a time and doing a "save as" as a different file name and seeing if it fixed the problem. If it didn't I would open the original, delete a different object, then do a "save as" again. Eventually it found the "corrupt" object and worked fine.Other than doing something similar to that you basically have to redraw you drawing. I believe that it is fairly rare (I work on brand new and archival drawings every day) and have never seen it happen again. Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD Map 2000 message - Object not initialized

It's actually a pretty widespread problem now. I think I may have traced the error to the moment when we Xrefed and bound a client drawing into our own. Unfortunately, it'll likely take a lifetime to isolate the appropriate object, as the client drawing is of a considerable size.

Any other ideas?

Thanks