Thread: Groups within Design Options

Login to Give a bone

Default Groups within Design Options

I can't seem to figure out the procedure for using groups within design options.

Scenario:

We currently have a group with (2) instances in our project.
    We want to display several options of this group.
    We get the typical group errors trying to place the groups into a design option.
    We can't put the individual elements within the group into a design option.

Any suggestions? (I think I know the answers already )

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Groups within Design Options

I'm using entire groups in different design options. For instance I have an exterior wall panel feature as a group,set to Option 1, a different exterior wall panel feature (another group) set to Option 2 etc. I'm not sure if you can have different parts of the group in different options, as that would in essence "violate" the wholeness of a group. Kinda similar to trying to put model elements in the same group on different worksets; that's a no no!

Login to Give a bone

> We currently have a group with (2) instances in our project.
    That's a start.

> We want to display several options of this group.
    You can't use options to display groups. it's either grooups or options.

> We get the typical group errors trying to place the groups into a design option.
    see comment above.

> We can't put the individual elements within the group into a design option.
    you have to ungroup them and then create the group withing each option set.

> Any suggestions? (I think I know the answers already )[/QUOTE]
    Do some tutorial.... May help. But you know that already.

Login to Give a bone

You certainly can use groups and options together though there are some restrictions. For example, a group instance can't contain elements that are inside an option and at the same time contain other elements that are not in that option.

To understand what you can and can't do, you need to think about a group as having a definition (what type of elements are in the group and how are they placed relative to each other) and instances (the group placed in a particular place in the building, possibly in a particular option). Group definitions are listed in the browser. You can't have options change group definitions, but you can have them replace instances of one group with instances of another group. Being able to put the instances in options will suffice for most applications (though you might have to put several instances in the same option).

Here's an example, I create two groups named 2Desks and 3Desks (containing 2 and 3 desks, respectively). I place an instance of 2Desks in the building somewhere. Now I add that instance to both options in an option set. I edit one of the options, select the group, and from the type selector pull down I choose 3Desks. The group instance in that option is replaced with an instance of 3Desks. Now I see either 2 or 3 desks depending on which option I am viewing.

If that isn't enough then please be more specific about what you are trying to do and what errors you are getting.

Login to Give a bone

I guess the only thing that may be affecting the group is a floor or pad that is defined by a wall in the group. Could that be why?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingbrad
    I guess the only thing that may be affecting the group is a floor or pad that is defined by a wall in the group. Could that be why?
    Can you be more specific about what exactly you did and exactly how revit responded?

Login to Give a bone

I have had problems before with geometry outside the group trying to clean-up/join with geometry inside the group. Disallowing joins has worked for me. Also, when editing the group, I found it best to save out the group as a file, inserting it in a blank project and then editing the group there by removeing items that need editing from that group. So when you do that, then you exit group editing mode and edit them in the main model. Once you're done, you re-edit the group and add those components back into the group. Then exit group editing mode, save out the new group and re-insert into your main model. Its best if you rename the old group in the main model first (adding "_OLD" to it's name to avoid confusion). Then select all instances of the old group and swop them with the newly inserted version.