Thread: Convert .CDR files to .DWG or .DXF

I could stop if I wanted to macwizzy06's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Convert .CDR files to .DWG or .DXF

I'm having issues with converting *.cdr* drawing (architectural layouts & elevations) files to .dwg or .dxf.

I'm not sure if these drawings were originally made with AutoCAD but when I attempted a Save-as using the .dwg, I got one AutoCAD picture and nine .jpg files. By AutoCAD picture, I mean a picture pasted in AutoCAD and edited with Paint. On the other hand, when I saved as .dxf, nothing was saved.

Does this mean that I cannot successfully convert these to drawings to AutoCAD? That would mean that I won't be able to modify it cos I didn't even bother trying in CorelDraw, as I hate doing layout drawings with that software... or any other for that matter. Well, except... ofcourse now, Revit.

Any help? Anyone?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Convert .CDR files to .DWG or .DXF

Quote Originally Posted by macwizzy06
    I'm having issues with converting *.cdr* drawing (architectural layouts & elevations) files to .dwg or .dxf.

I'm not sure if these drawings were originally made with AutoCAD but when I attempted a Save-as using the .dwg, I got one AutoCAD picture and nine .jpg files. By AutoCAD picture, I mean a picture pasted in AutoCAD and edited with Paint. On the other hand, when I saved as .dxf, nothing was saved.

Does this mean that I cannot successfully convert these to drawings to AutoCAD? That would mean that I won't be able to modify it cos I didn't even bother trying in CorelDraw, as I hate doing layout drawings with that software... or any other for that matter. Well, except... ofcourse now, Revit.

Any help? Anyone?
    CDR is CorelDraw's file format. These can be translated to DWG or DXF using CorelDraw.

Login to Give a bone

When exporting CDR files to DWG or DXF, Corel will only convert the vector bits to DWG or DXF, the raster bits are excluded.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    CDR is CorelDraw's file format. These can be translated to DWG or DXF using CorelDraw.
    Exactly! And this seems like the origin of the problem...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox
    When exporting CDR files to DWG or DXF, Corel will only convert the vector bits to DWG or DXF, the raster bits are excluded.
    The vector bits I got seem to be 'uneditable' (pardon my grammar) in AutoCAD. Double-clicking opens it up in Paint for editing.

It's a 10-layout .cdr file, after exporting (using File > Save as) to .dwg only 1 layout (the current layout) converted, others were converted to .jpg. I believe that if these other layouts are made current and saved, they'd each convert to .dwg.

My question stems from the fact that all these converted files cannot be edited in AutoCAD, and I really need to _ork on them. So I was hoping that someone would have a way to workaround this... and I still haven't given up on that hope