Thread: How to get the ceiling height in a room tag?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to get the ceiling height in a room tag?

I've been trying to build the Ceiling ht parameter in a room tag and can't seem to get the 'Unbounded Height' parameter to pull from the room properties. I'm sure this has been discussed before but i searched the forum and couldn't find anything. What is the trick? tx

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to get the ceiling height in a room tag?

Unfortunately there is still a hole to plug here. Ceilings are not room aware so a ceiling schedule won't offer you room data to include. You can't tag the ceiling height as it relates to the room, that is, in a room tag. You can tag the ceiling itself to indicate the height using a ceiling tag.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to get the ceiling height in a room tag?

But what you can do is generate a formula in a schedule to calculate the ceiling height (assuming it is constant).

Volume divided by Area will give you Height (actually it is an average height but if the ceiling height is the same over the area it amounts to the same thing). If you calculate this as a Number and have another column calculate the same as an Integer you can compare the two results in a third column using a conditional formula and if they are equal to each other know that the ceiling is, in fact level. If they are not equal to each other it means that the ceiling height varies and the conditional can be further exploited to place a meaningless value of 0 for the ceiling height along with (in another column) a statement that the ceiling height varies.

Sounds like a lot of work doesn't it? It is but when the schedule is all done it works just fine (I only wish that, instead of giving a 0'-0" ceiling height I could say "varies" instead). If you had to have this in a Tag then, as in the case of Occupancy Tags, you could create another column where you would manually enter the resultant value of these columns (probably as text so you could say "varies").

I haven't taken this that far and I don't know that I will since I can tag the ceiling directly but we'll see what others in my office say. They may insist that the ceiling height be a part of the room tag.