Thread: Dimensioning in PS

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Dimensioning in PS

I am not sure if this is an Acad or ADT question. I have a user using ADT 3.3 and is dimensioning in PS. He changed his style to scale the dims primary units up by 48 so his dimensions are correct. I have figured out that it depends on what he snaps to, but some times the dims are scaled 2304 times which is 48x48. He is drawing in ADT with Vanilla cad lines for his plan (its an old plan from before we started using ADT elements).

So my question is if he snaps to a line in a VPort, does Acad or ADT recognize that the VPorts scale ratio is 1:48 and automatically scale the Dim by that factor? Because if he snaps to a node on the dim it will leave the Ratio of 1:1. Thanks for any input.

Also, is there a system variable for this function if that is what it is doing?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensioning in PS

Yes, you can have your dimstyle scale set to react to the viewport scale in both ADT and Acad. Look under the "Fit" tab and you'll see the radio button for "scale dims to layout". Depending on the dimstyle you have it may also be reactive in an ADT enviroment. I'm trying to remember from my 3.3 days what I did. I was never a fan of using ADT dims in Pspace as I usually didn't get the results I wanted.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I always dimension in models space, if you dimension in paperspace and somebody pans or zooms in the viewport then its a right mess. I believe if you dimension in paperspace whilst in an active viewport then you can set the dimensions to scale as per the viewport scale.

Also check out this thread http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ng+paper+space

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Dimensioning in PS is something new for me. I am currently fixing the previous system that was at this office. It worked great if there was only one drafter on a job, but besides that it was a nightmare to work with.

Up until now I have always dimensioned in MS. But, with the current system, our 1/8" plans and 1/4" plan blowup sheets are in the same drawing series. The plot sheets are in the same drawing (Job# A100s.dwg). I decided to try to leave the Diem's off of the master xref plan and put them in PS. Previously I would make the master xref plan the same as the 1/8" plan and then xref it into individual drawings. I could then freeze all the elements that I did not need. I also had a drawing for each plot layout Job #A-100.dwg, Job# A-101.dwg, ... Now I keep all the 100 series drawings in one drawing Job# A100s.dwg and have multiple tabs. So I found it easier to dim in PS with this system. It is also easier to keep track of what ADT variables are turned on and off. For example I dont have to open 10 different drawings to turn on the sill plan variable if it is turned off. I can set it in the 1 drawings and be done with it.

One way of keeping some one from zooming and panning in a Vport is to lock it, so I dont have to deal with things being misaligned.